Trusted Contributor

i know everyone will have different opinions on this, i'm searching for a new insurance company, for my car & renters insurance, i have allstate, have had them for 20 plus yrs and there rates are extremely high. i have a 13 yr old car and almost every yr my ins. goes up by like almost 40 or more dollars a yr.. i talked to them about how to lower it and kinda got the run around they said unless you drop your collision there's really no way of lowering it.. they did wind up lowering it a tad, only by like 20.00 every 6 months........... now again i get my bill and it went up again by 17.00 every 6 months   crazy        i've had it with them!!!!!!!!!! whats another good insurance company...... also they told me with a new insurance company after your 1st accident with them your insurance can skyrocket  i think they said this so i wouldnt switch........ of course it would go up..... they told me i've been with them for so long if i have an accident they would look past it...... so what are your opinions   ok i'll tell you... i'm paying almost 600.00 every 6 months for my 13 yr old car i hardly even drive.... allstate has got to go!!!!!!!!!! i am in my mid 40's its not like im 17 years old and a brand new driver..... thanks for your input on this!

Honored Contributor
Denise, I have state farm. I live in MI where there is no cap on insurance payout for accidents so I pay thru the nose no matter what.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

dont know where you live, but we switched a few years ago from nationwide to ERIE......they have been very good and the savings was significant. we moved all of our policies to erie (except for our national flood insurance, which is issued via nationwide)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@denisexoxo wrote:

i know everyone will have different opinions on this, i'm searching for a new insurance company, for my car & renters insurance, i have allstate, have had them for 20 plus yrs and there rates are extremely high. i have a 13 yr old car and almost every yr my ins. goes up by like almost 40 or more dollars a yr.. i talked to them about how to lower it and kinda got the run around they said unless you drop your collision there's really no way of lowering it.. they did wind up lowering it a tad, only by like 20.00 every 6 months........... now again i get my bill and it went up again by 17.00 every 6 months   crazy        i've had it with them!!!!!!!!!! whats another good insurance company...... also they told me with a new insurance company after your 1st accident with them your insurance can skyrocket  i think they said this so i wouldnt switch........ of course it would go up..... they told me i've been with them for so long if i have an accident they would look past it...... so what are your opinions   ok i'll tell you... i'm paying almost 600.00 every 6 months for my 13 yr old car i hardly even drive.... allstate has got to go!!!!!!!!!! i am in my mid 40's its not like im 17 years old and a brand new driver..... thanks for your input on this!

We've had Allstate for 28 years, and our premium is lower than ever.  But we've never had an accident, so that helps, but talk to your agent. If they won't offer you anything, move on, but they should. We pay about $600 every 6 months for 2 cars, one older and one newer, with 3 drivers. Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

That is expensive - making me wonder about your driving record. In general Allstate is pretty inexpensive in comparison to most.

Honored Contributor

I liken insurance companies to the mob.LOL  That being said, it's a necessary evil and the law I guess. If you are in the military or have ever been, USAA is a decent insurance company to deal with.

Honored Contributor

I would go into the office and have them explain your policy to you, so you know what you're paying for.  I did that last year and found there was some extra stuff I didn't know I was paying for.  I use Hanover and pay $800 a year for a 4 year old SUV.

Honored Contributor

Rates vary from state to state.  We've been with Geico for years and have been treated well.

Trusted Contributor

Re: insurance companies

[ Edited ]

i live in pa........ had 1 accident 6 yrs ago it was the other persons fault, she had no incurance, she admitted it was her fault.... they didnt raise my insurance for that, but now they're making up for it  lol  i did go talk to them last yr.. they said there's no way of lowering it which really mad no sense unless i  dropped my collision.  this is at least the 5th time i could remember of it going up.... like i said im 43 have a 2002 car and clean driving record, kinda makes no sense why its so high.. i did sit down with the guy last yr like i said he went through my policy to see how i could lower it.....

Honored Contributor

denisexoxo wrote:

i live in pa........ had 1 accident 6 yrs ago it was the other persons fault, she had no incurance, she admitted it was her fault.... they didnt raise my insurance for that, but now they're making up for it  lol  i did go talk to them last yr.. they said there's no way of lowering it which really mad no sense unless i  dropped my collision.  this is at least the 5th time i could remember of it going up.... like i said im 43 have a 2002 car and clean driving record, kinda makes no sense why its so high.. i did sit down with the guy last yr like i said he went through my policy to see how i could lower it.....

if you are in pa then definitely check out ERIE......it saved us a lot. it also helps to work with an insurance broker who can check multiple companies to help you get the best deal.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein