Frequent Contributor

Just wondering what time you all gather for Thanksgiving? Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: What time do you gather?

[ Edited ]

2pm

....and then course after course after course.....
Honored Contributor

we have an open door policy......anytime after 1pm is fine. we do not eat our main meal until about 6:30pm. we do put out our hot and cold appetizers/snacks at around 1pm. we replenish as needed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter what holiday it is, we always plan to eat at 3 pm.

Trusted Contributor

@leeleeB, well my holidays are a bit different now as my parents are in assisted living/nursing home. So we spend the early afternoon with them....

Then we eat at our home at about 5PM.  If I was just doing dinner, with many people coming over, I would do , everyone to come around 3 and eat at about 4PM.

Honored Contributor

Since I don't have any plans for Thanksgiving, I will be at home alone....which is fine with me.  So, I can eat any time I want.  Not sure yet what I will be fixing, but will make it a good dinner.  Might do something in my new slow cooker.  

Honored Contributor

We don’t; Thanksgiving is a day for our hunters to be in the woods.   All of our family lives with 12 miles of us, so we can eat a meal together anytime.   One Thursday in the month of November isn’t a big deal to my family.   

Respected Contributor

At dinner time, around 6 PM, if at all. I'm at the beach, and while I do have some family in the area, I tend to just do my own thing. I don't like/won't eat most of the traditional Thanksgiving foods, nor am I into the seemingly odd tradition of shoveling in as much food as possible. I usually go see what looks good at the fish market the day before and have that for dinner when I get hungry. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving this year is going to be a grilled cheese sandwich and dessert and a quiet (please, please, please let it be quiet) day at home. It will be just my husband and me. 

If we go really crazy, we’ll get a rotisserie chicken from Publix the day before and heat it up on Thanksgiving. 

We had planned to have my husband’s very small family to our house, but we have extremely serious medical crises with two of his family members so our small group is just about non existent so we cancelled. 

My sister then invited us to her house, but she’s on call for her job that day and said she might be on the phone most of the time. When I thanked her and declined, she said they’d probably spend all day in their pajamas. I’ll see her on Black Friday for shopping and lunch. 

So, its going to be a very different Thanksgiving and to be really honest, I’m totally fine with it. Can’t handle too much hoopla about a meal this year. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Start the visiting at my SIL's anytime after 11:00 and try to sit down by noon.  Cowboys usually at 3:00 then by evening hungry for leftovers and start decorating tree.  Favorite holiday of the whole year. 

The greatest part is this is my ex-husband's family not my blood family.  We divorced in 1999 and they do not invite him but still want me at the table.  I so love my sister-in-laws and their families.  My grown son with his family there makes it more special.  His Dad just hates the whole thing that they still want me in their lives after all this time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."