hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: What's Up For St. Patrick's Day?

On 3/14/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 3/13/2015 mstyrion 1 said:
On 3/13/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 3/13/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

What a wonderful thread, Noel!

I am an Irish lass as my grandmother used to call me....

The Irish cake was served in our home once a week on Sunday's. My grandmother (who was from Dublin) always said it was more of a bread than a cake. She lived with us my entire childhood so she had some wonderful stories about Ireland and growing up on a farm.Smile

I hope everyone has a wonderful St. Patrick's Day.....in our home it is the same as a National Holiday and we enjoy celebrating with a dinner out. (my corned beef and cabbage leaves something to be desired){#emotions_dlg.laugh}

SR, have you noticed that so many of us Celtic types fall in with each other? {#emotions_dlg.w00t} We do like fun!

Well, you Irish Lass, I wish you a very Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'm loving this thread and the fun Celtic ladies!

Thank you for the Colcannon recipe, Noel. I'm going to make this! Sounds yummy.

I'll be trying it out for dinner tonight, I'll let you know how it goes Smile

I just got back from the grocery store with the ingredients. I'll be making it tonight too!

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 mstyrion 1 said:

The Irish cake was served in our home once a week on Sunday's. My grandmother (who was from Dublin) always said it was more of a bread than a cake. She lived with us my entire childhood so she had some wonderful stories about Ireland and growing up on a farm.Smile

I hope everyone has a wonderful St. Patrick's Day.....in our home it is the same as a National Holiday and we enjoy celebrating with a dinner out. (my corned beef and cabbage leaves something to be desired){#emotions_dlg.laugh}

SR, have you noticed that so many of us Celtic types fall in with each other? {#emotions_dlg.w00t} We do like fun!

I just got back from the grocery store with the ingredients. I'll be making it tonight too!

mstyrion, I sure hope it turns out well for you! There's always been a lot of Irish people around here, and more still coming here from the old sod. I've heard about colcannon for a long time and have wanted to give it a try, so this will be fun!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 hckynut said: Just another day. I prefer not to remember my paternal Irish genetics

Oh, sorry, John {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

mstyrion, I sure hope it turns out well for you! There's always been a lot of Irish people around here, and more still coming here from the old sod. I've heard about colcannon for a long time and have wanted to give it a try, so this will be fun!

what's not to like about mashed potatoes, cabbage and bacon! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I got the day wrong for the festival here. It's tomorrow, so I'll whip up some colcannon and have a piece of Soda Bread for dinner tonight. We'll have to compare notes on how it turns out.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

what's not to like about mashed potatoes, cabbage and bacon! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I got the day wrong for the festival here. It's tomorrow, so I'll whip up some colcannon and have a piece of Soda Bread for dinner tonight. We'll have to compare notes on how it turns out.

We're trying out two ready-made soda breads from two different store bakeries. Compare and contrast. I just love it, and I got Kerrygold Irish butter to go with. DD plans on making one, also. I see cooks online branching out with variations on it, that's fun, too, one was a cherry almond soda bread.

I'm so glad you're having fun with all of this Smile

Honored Contributor

A good tip I want to share ......

Whenever you cook "smelly" vegetables like cabbage, broccoli etc etc ... throw in a couple stalks of celery .... don't know why, but it reduces the cooking small by about 50%! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

My Colcannon was a big success. I bought a good, slab bacon and sliced it on the thicker side before frying it. To make life easy, I bought a pre-shredded cabbage and I used Yukon Gold potatoes. Delicious and I have leftovers.

I bought my soda bread from Safeway and it was very good too.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 mstyrion 1 said:

My Colcannon was a big success. I bought a good, slab bacon and sliced it on the thicker side before frying it. To make life easy, I bought a pre-shredded cabbage and I used Yukon Gold potatoes. Delicious and I have leftovers.

I bought my soda bread from Safeway and it was very good too.

I was waiting for your review, we loved ours, too. We used a favorite bacon from the butcher, also a thicker cut, basic russets and a fresh cabbage. It was delicious! We also have leftovers, which I'm looking forward to again tonight Smile

Oh, and the Safeway soda bread. They're using a different recipe this year, more rustic, less like cake. It was good.

Thanks for letting me know how you liked it!

Super Contributor

Funny, Colcannon, soda bread are foods I cook on a regular basis. A boiled dinner is chicken not corned beef. Growing up in Ireland Saint Patricks day was a church day. Now it's more of a party, drinking weekend for many.