Honored Contributor

Re: What's Up For St. Patrick's Day?

On 3/15/2015 irishmama5 said: Funny, Colcannon, soda bread are foods I cook on a regular basis. A boiled dinner is chicken not corned beef. Growing up in Ireland Saint Patricks day was a church day. Now it's more of a party, drinking weekend for many.

Hi there Smile

St. Patrick's Day, it is said, is much bigger in the US than in Ireland. It's used to teach the children and others about Irish culture and history. That works the same here with St. David's Day, the Lunar New Year, Mexican holidays, etc.

Not everyone drinks on St. Patrick's Day here, although that does get a lot of attention, for sure. But remember, not everyone kicking up their heels in the local bars is Irish. It's just an excuse for some.

Good friends of ours came over from Ireland about 30 years ago. She'd never made corned beef and the trimmings. Corned beef came out of the late 1800s and the tenements in New York. It was a dish for the poor, basically a New England boiled supper. It became popular with the Irish there at that time and has been carried on.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

We've never been fans of Irish Soda bread but we love Irish brown bread. This morning I baked 2 loaves. I buy Odlums Brown Bread mix from FoodIreland.com. It's delicious warm with sweet butter.

Regular Contributor

I love the irish brown bread too. Thanks for the link lulu. I think I'm going to order this. I'm going to try the colcannon recipe sometime too. Looks yummy. CH
Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 lulu2 said:

We've never been fans of Irish Soda bread but we love Irish brown bread. This morning I baked 2 loaves. I buy Odlums Brown Bread mix from FoodIreland.com. It's delicious warm with sweet butter.

Irish Brown Bread delicious pictures!

lulu, Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard about Odlums mix, I will check it out Smile

Honored Contributor

OVC is having a sale on many previous items from the Irish shows. Nice things and good buys.

http://www.qvc.com/StPatricksDay.content.html?metaeSpot=Home| http://www.qvc.com/StPatricksDay.content.html?metaeSpot=Home|Home

I ordered the Belleek bunny basket:

Super Contributor

On 3/14/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 3/13/2015 jessa said:

Noel and everybody!

jessa!

I love that picture! I have it on a decorated backing from Michael's. I bought it a couple of years ago and put it on the mantel for St. Pat's Day

GMTA!

Super Contributor

I think I started a colcannon trend! My DH's family would be proud.....!

Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 jessa said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trending now! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I read you can also make those little mashed potato patties out of the leftovers. You know, like people do with leftover boring mashed potatoes, lol. Roll them into a ball and use the bottom of glass or your hand to flatten them, and fry them in a skillet. Sounds good to me!

Trusted Contributor

I don't decorate, but I will make Irish soda bread, as usual. I usually do a corned beef brisket or an Irish stew, but I think I will make bangers and Colcannon potatoes this year.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/15/2015 jessa said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I didn't see your original post, and just saw this post after my post, so it must be the year of Colcannon! I never heard of Colcannon potatoes before this year. I found the recipe while browsing Irish recipes on Pinterest.