Valued Contributor

Re: What's In Your Collection?

i collect bells have 100    also small tea cups  have about 50 of them   lots to take care iof and clean all by hand  ,have also birds about 25  med size ones   my son and daughter started me on the collection   shouldf start to give them to them   . 

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  Geez, at that rate your house would have looked like a souvenier shop!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde,

Yes, you are exactly right---my house was fast becoming a souvenir shop in the making, I was no longer enjoying a treasured collection.  

I don't hang things on my walls, but received 3 lighthouse pictures from the same person who came here and saw my collection.   I can tell she's looking for them when she stops by, but I'm never going to hang those pictures on the wall, because I like my walls bare.

Respected Contributor

Old and vintage "Coach" handbags, wallets, wristlets, coin purses and anything "Coach".

I have several items from the "1996 USA Oylmpic limited edition".

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Unfortunately, I collect too many things and should be down sizing. English tea strainers, crystal liqueur stems, ceramic pitchers and porcelain teapots, American brilliance cut class, antique linens, china tea cups and demi tasse cups, Arthurian novels and fantasy literature collections, wizards and sorceror figurines, Art Deco era framed magazine covers,  antique jewelry,etc. etc. They make me happy to be surrounded by these objects, but they keep me busy dusting. I still have my Blue Willow Made in Occupied Japan doll dishes and my Keystone Doll House with original furniture from my childhood. Time to let go of some of these things.

@RainCityWoman- YIKES! That's a lot of collecting!  As long as you're happy with them, then that's great. Once they become a burden (like my various glass collections are), then it's time to kiss them goodbye!

Well, to be honest, many of the collections came from my family who have long since passed. I have stuff that came across the U.S. from New York to Washington and Oregon in a covered wagon. Those have a lot of sentimental value. Once I had them, I started adding to the collections. I guess I should take up ebay selling like you do, but it seems like a big hassle.

Esteemed Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

What a fun thread, I love reading what everyone likes to collect.  Even though I don't  have a lot of items in each collection, I do collect:

Vintage brooches (I wear them too)

Vintage Shiny Brite ornaments

Steinbach nutcrackers

Champagne buckets (with brand logos on them)

I have my grandmother's and my aunt's brooches. I used to wear them in the 80's when it was in to wear sparkles on Denim blazers. My favorite is the Eisenberg one. Now I sometimes put them on my hat bands....yeah, I forgot that I have a hat collection too. And I wear them winter and summer. The champagne buckets sound interesting. I've never known anyone who collects those.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I haven't added to my collections in a while but I have fish and cat salt and pepper shakers.  My granddaughter loves looking at that.

I have tons of wool yardage and associated items for my old rug hooking hobby.  My fingers cramp up too much to make it fun anymore:/

I still have a few pieces of pink Fenton glass.  

Oh my gosh, my friend in West Seattle does rug hooking. I couldn't believe all the work that goes into that: the dying, the cutting, the color schemes. I don't think I would have the patience to do that. I know what you mean about the cramping, though. I design and make jewelry that requires wire weaving. Sometimes my hand curls up like a claw and is stuck in that position until I massage the cramp out. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lippies????

Honored Contributor

I collect Santa Clause figurines.  Like with most collections, it started with a couple and now every year, I add a couple more.  I collect unique ones and like diffierent nationalities.  This year, I added another African American Santa.  He's dressed in ivory and gold.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely NOTHING !!  

"Stuff" makes me uncomfortable so I prefer a some what minimalist environment. I do have thousands of books but only because I only buy hard cover and don't use the library. I read a great deal and then cannot bear to throw them away. All the books are shelved in one room with the ones I have read or don't want separated from the others. I always encourage everyone I know to help themselves.