Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite detergent to prevent fading in colored clothes; pinks, turquoise, etc.?

Teacher daughter tends to buy colorful, delicate fabrics, so we use Dreft, cold water, the shortest wash cycle and dry on a rack.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: What is your favorite detergent to prevent fading in colored clothes; pinks, turquoise, etc.?

I wash everything in cold water with All free and clear, except for DH's gym clothes, towels, sheets, and underwear. Those go in warm/ hot with Tide. I always wash darks and lights separately. I know it can make a difference if your water is very hard or if you have very soft water where you live. I think anytime you wash dark clothes in hot water you can expect some fading over time. 

Honored Contributor

I order liquid Cheer with Colorguard from walmart (my store quit carrying it) and always, always add a cup of generic vineger.  Vinegar holds color.

Honored Contributor

I use Mrs Meyers it is healthier than standard detergents, and I find it is fine for gentle washes too.  Sometimes I use woolite, but I think Mrs meyers may be as good for no fading.  

Honored Contributor

I'm just a Tide person.

Contributor

Woolite. Cold water gentle cycle, no dryer!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@sann @There are a gazillion Tides. I used to use one made for co,ores clothing that prevented fading. I used it on my dressier towels too. It kept everything looking like brand new. I washed in cold water and line dried except for the colored towels, which I used a hot dryer for (to kill germs). Now I can't find anything similar. My colored cotton clothes definitely do fade with other Tides, even in cold water. I've tried regular Woolite for delicates and it has a very strong odor and does not work the way it used to when I was younger. 

@Mindy D 

In addition to the detergent I think it also has to do with the QUALITY of th FABRIC....Ive noticed a definite decline in some of the clothing brands, including QVC brands, one D&C t-shirt the fabric was just awful, Walmart quality was better....I returned it and wrote a review...in an effort to keep costs down I think they are taking short cuts on the fabrication.....Now some D&C shirts are fine and others not so much...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

It's the water that makes more of a difference than a specific detergent. City water is loaded with chemicals, especially chlorine. I had well water for 20 years after moving south, and that pure water was such a gift after using city water for decades. Well water eliminates the need to drink bottled water. It's gentle on everything. Doesn't fade clothes and, a biggie for me, doesn't fade hair color. Easy on appliances too. Great for watering plants because plants hate chlorine. Our well water was tested regularly and was always pure. Boy do I miss that well. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Purex Free and Clear or Purex Natural Elements detergent. 

For my nice tops, I turn them inside out before washing, use the short cycle, and hang up to dry. Same for jeans and dress slacks. 

For sweaters, I wash them by hand using Ivory Liquid.

My clothes never seem to wear out (I'm more likely to get tired of them first lol). 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm just a Tide person.

LOL... So am I.  Tried other products.  Tide always gets clothes clean.