Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is "better" after our year of pandemic?

With so much available time, I have rediscovered favored, time consuming pastimes. My passion for sketching intricate flowers is something I am enjoying, but had not  done so with any regularity, in several years.😄

I  enjoy dining out much more than I did pre-COVID; primarily for the ambiance. The renewed feeling of "normalcy" while dining in a bustling restaurant at full capacity, is quite welcome! Previously, I preferred a more intimate dining experience.😊 

Family bonds have become so much more significant, as we have witnessed the devastating losses suffered by so many. It put things into proper perspective, and encouraged me to attempt rebuilding some fractured family ties; a constant work in progress.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

Overall I liked my life much better before the pandemic. The whole thing has caused me way too much stress. So what is better for me is that it's ending. I am slowly returning to my pre pandemic life.I look forward to the freedom to just live my life without the added drama of serious illness or looming death. Or desperately trying to secure a vaccination.

I'm also a people person so isolation hasn't been good for my mental health.

Honored Contributor

No flu season, no traffic (I am sure that will change when Amazon, Google and Microsoft stop working remotely), I found I like getting my groceries delivered.  I have been fully vaccinated but I am going to keep up social distancing and mask wearing because we are not going to reach herd immunity.

Valued Contributor

Without a doubt, I think the best thing to come out of the pandemic is the realization by large numbers of parents that they can homeschool their children, or pool resources into creating educational pods, or investigate the contribution of private schools to the educational needs of children.

I strongly favor diversity in education.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to individual development and achievement, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

For me - most important - Zoom, live streaming and webinars / webcasts.   

So many more things are now available online.  

And - since so many things have been moved online - communication is easier - more people are able to participate via Zoom than when we met in person.  Lots more webcasts.  

On the other hand - the nature of some groups where interaction between members was necessary - those groups have been in limbo for more than a year

Trusted Contributor

Sheltering at home being fearful, gaining weight, putting off doctor and dental appointments because you're fearing covid, not knowing who at your doctor and dentist's office is vaccintated or if it's a valid thing to be worried about. Getting complacent with home deliveries as a new normal.  Fearful of your neighbors and their kids and their friends too...are they vaccinated, should you care.. As the warm weather approaches those who think they look great fatter...no, far from it. None of my summer clothes fit.  I am on a diet and workout plan and I never ate donuts or pastries; it was all from having no place to go.  So in answer to your question, nothing. 

Honored Contributor

I would like to think that most people have learned lessons from it, but that's doubtful. I am an introvert and  I have enjoyed less interaction with others. But it's unhealthy too, and hasn't been good for my health issues.

I know one thing that's definitely better and I am grateful every day for it.

For me the pandemic has happened at the same time as grief, loss, and lots of personal pain. So much so that the pandemic seemed much easier to deal with.

Towards the end of May, two weeks after being fully vaccinated, I look forward to getting back to things I enjoyed doing. Being able to do them without fear of serious illness or death. 

I am so sorry for everyone who lost friends and loved ones. I still say to myself every day did all of this really happen, it still feels surreal sometimes.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

• I enjoyed not feeling guilty about having a low key Christmas and Thanksgiving in 2020.
  • I found I like preplanning the majority of my groceries online and just picking them up.
  • I've enjoyed having more time with DH as he works from home more than before.
  • Medical advancements from virus research. We might eventually have a cure for cancer and a cure for the common cold out of all this.
  • Advancements in actually utilizing and applying the internet technology that has been available for a while but underused: telehealth, video conferencing, ecommerce...
  • Appreciating all I have socially and physically. Especially TP.
When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

While the pandemic worked to make my reclusive nature not so weird, it began to excacerbate some other issues I have battled for most of my life. I'm hoping that that will calm down now -- one in particular is very concerning in terms of my health.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I've always been an on the go , all the time person.   I worried that the isolation from other people and the things I enjoyed doing would drive me crazy.

Surprise...I learned that I have a huge capacity to be lazy and that I can easily entertain myself at home.