Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is "better" after our year of pandemic?

My life has been turned totally upside down - and it had nothing to do with the pandemic.  It would have happened anyway.   I wish I could've stayed home and become a hermit.  I would've loved that!  

I've enjoyed seeing TV programs 'zoomed' from people's homes.  I'm usually more interested in their decorating and color scheme than what they're saying.  What's on their walls or on their bookcases says a lot about them.  

I'd rather do my own shopping, but am grateful to curbside pickup at the grocery store.  I appreciate how businesses have re-invented themselves to continue their services during the pandemic.  American ingenuity!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Hopefully buffets disappear forever. 🤢 Great breeding ground for passing around every manner of bacteria and virus.

@bikerbabe, we stopped any buffet eating many years ago. It is the very rare (and expensive) buffet that has food worth eating. Plus, they tend to encourage overeating for people who are determined to get their money's worth.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Similar to many of your comments. After working from home in 2020, discovered my highway to work increased by two lanes. This and less traffic cut my travel time by 20 mins one way. Glad for that. Renewed love for walks, bike rides and drives in country. I wave at people more. Hubs grew up going to church weekly. Have enjoyed online sermons and I won't be attending weekly. Loved my Sunday labyrinth walks at a local park. Coffee shop nearby. As someone mentioned -- less holiday hassle. Have enjoyed take out and relaxing at home. Added more home projects because I just want to enjoy my cozy home now. Grocery pick up is nice. Not a big hugger or handshaker - so that's nice. I used to 'pop in' stores for no particular reason. I'm over that now. Will wear mask on walks outdoors during pesky midwest allergy season. Helps a lot! More sanitary conditions in general are expected. Nice change.  

Modified FB friends list. Goodbye 100 people. Most were random, angry people I collected over the years, but I did step back from a few 40 yr friendships. Maybe temporary or maybe not. Their anger and hate was too much. I had no idea... Wonderful reminder to surround myself with people who inspire me and just simplify my life in general. 

Spent a lot of time with furloughed airline daughter who popped in for months at a time. Probably the best bonus of all. We kept one another laughing and encouraged. 

There are down sides. Lost people unexpectedly. Had a few scares with other loved ones. Also missed frequent interactions with special people. I have the best cohorts at work and we are hit and miss in crossing paths, as we try to cover the office AND work from home. 

May we all stay healthy      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

My disdain for wearing masks supersedes wearing my bra.  I will never insult my bra ever again!  

Respected Contributor

Generally, my world slowed down to a pace more to my liking. 

In the future I will be more discriminating about who I spend time with--eliminate ignorant, anti-vax, and angry people.  I am not responsible to educate them or to listen to their rants.

Esteemed Contributor

I would hope that the distancing markers in checkout lines remain, or at least people continue to respect others social space.  There was never any reason for someone to be on top of you in the grocery store line.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Hopefully buffets disappear forever. 🤢 Great breeding ground for passing around every manner of bacteria and virus.

@bikerbabe  Agree.

I don't care how expensive a buffet is; bacteria and viruses are not picky.

We haven't touched a buffet in years.  Totally skeeve worthy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Positives only---- bought a brand new vehicle & got a HUGE discount!! Vehicles weren't selling for obvious reasons & they needed to move inventory. Had 6 dealerships fighting for my business which worked in my favor...all over the phone! So I could tell one place what price the other place was offering, and got it down by thousands! Obviously checked it out in person & took for a test drive once decided where I was buying from! I upgraded the model too & got free accessories because of the lower price!

Was and currently have been doing massive organizing/cleaning out/donating tons of stuff the past year! Who knows when I would have gotten to a lot of those projects as in normal times I work more than full time, and a lot of times work away from home!

Mini remodel projects completed myself that might have taken years to get around to doing.

Did a lot of work on my landscaping & gardens that would have taken a few seasons otherwise.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely appreciating being outside more. Last year when being socially distanced outside was the one "safe" option, I was working from home and able to take more walks. It defnitely helped to reduce stress and was great mentally.

I also discovered some new music I probably wouldn't have, because I was listening to  a lot of it to help take my mind off the pandemic and the politics that went with it I will not be mentioning here. 

And I became very good friends with my neighbor! We checked up on each other, carpooled to essential shopping.