Respected Contributor

Re: What dumb things did you believe as a child?

Easy...that everything my mother said was true...lie.

Respected Contributor

If you swallowd bubble gum it would sit in your stomach for 7 years. LOL!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

The Boogyman!  I actually believed there was a boogyman.

When my grandmother didn't want me go play in the attic, she'd say the boogyman was up there.  However one day I wanted to go outside and watch the plowman.  (My parents had a huge garden every year and the plowman would come un and plow.)

Because I always went out and watched the plowman with my dad (I was his shadow) and the plowman had come, thought my dad was at work, I still was pleading to be let out to watch the plowman.  So, my grandmother told me the plowman was the boogyman.

Because I knew that wasn't true I tattled on my grandmother.  That was the end of the boogymanWoman LOL!

Respected Contributor

I was easy as a child!  When it snowed, I believed Angels were having pillow fights.  In first grade, I was 5 and Sr. Ann Richard said we had to make room in our seats for our Guardian Angels.  To this very day, I do not sit fully in my seat at 76 years

Trusted Contributor

Wonderful thread! When I spent the night at my grandparents' home I had a cot in an upstairs bedroom that faced a window. I believed that Peter Pan might come and ask me to go with him to Neverland.

The watermelon stories! SO familiar, never wanted to swallow those seeds.

When my grandfather would give us silces of watermelon he always said that watermelon was what they fed "the little children with the upside-down stomachs". I never knew what he meant by that. Wish I could ask him now.

Dragonflies were scary to me too. Didn't want my lips sewn up! I love them now and see them this time of year until the fall.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954   Your first sentence made me pause and cause to reflect on many memories, encouraging that your icon is a butterfly.   Wish I could send you a hug 💓

@rms1954 wrote:

That your parents LOVE you no matter how hurtful and badly they treated you.  That God will help if you ask and pray to him.  There is a Prince Charming, Santa Claus, and fairies.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to parochial school and the nuns could be pretty mean. We had an old school with a beautiful staircase leading (I guess) to the attic. When someone was being punished they would make you say a prayer for each step you climbed on your way to the attic where the nuns said there was an electric spanking machine and we all believed it. Kids never made it to the top as they were forgiven before reaching the top. Thank goodness I never had to take the "walk." So cruel.
Honored Contributor

For some reason, I thought people were nice and wouldn't do anything to hurt me as long as I didn't do anything bad to them. 

Those in power, government, corporations, schools, banks, media, etc, were honest and ethical. 

Trusted Contributor

I once asked my mother what the Infernal Revenue was and she couldn't stop laughing.  

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:
I went to parochial school and the nuns could be pretty mean. We had an old school with a beautiful staircase leading (I guess) to the attic. When someone was being punished they would make you say a prayer for each step you climbed on your way to the attic where the nuns said there was an electric spanking machine and we all believed it. Kids never made it to the top as they were forgiven before reaching the top. Thank goodness I never had to take the "walk." So cruel.

@Biftu They were really mean, cruel women weren't they?

I went to Catholic school from kindergarten right through to high school and in those 13 years, there were only two that I could say were kind.