Trusted Contributor

Re: What dumb things did you believe as a child?

As a kid I believed that city buses, actually any buses, couldn't go in reverse. I didn't think they could back up because I had never seen one do anything but be driven forward.

I obviously know now that all vehicles like buses are equipped with transmissions that have a reverse gear. But to be candid, I don't think I've ever seen a bus being "parked" or driven in reverse ever! 

I'm  74, still waiting!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to a Catholic grade school. I remember believing that nuns were born nuns and that they had no B**bs. The heavy “habits” they wore must’ve covered them enough on top that I didn’t think they were shaped like my mom from waist up. Idk 😐😆

When my dad said he had to see a man about a horse, I thought he was going to bring home a pony for me. 

Honored Contributor

I believed that babies came from Wilson Drug Store.  I don't know where I got that from, nobody told me that.  I just came up with it on my own.

As a teenager I worked in Wilson Drug Store filing prescriptions, wrapping things, etc.  One day they got a call and I heard the sales person ask "Do you want boy or girl?"  and then she went up into the upstairs area.  I had to laugh and told people that proved that babies came from Wilson Drug Store.  Of course, what it really was, was that they kept the baby announcement cigars up there.  

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

My grandmother told me a little girl she played with as a child sat on a pin and it went to her heart and killed her. She was teaching me to sew...

Regular Contributor

I actually thought those beautiful strawberries on top of cereal as shown on front of box were inside and ready to eat when the cereal was poured. 
Also, thought cats were girls and dogs were boys! Was I naive. 

Trusted Contributor

@Linda0215 wrote:

I was convinced that the sewing needles (dragonfly's) would sew up my lips if I got too close to them. Needless to say, I was terrified of them. Still am. 

@Linda0215  Wow!  I thought I was the only one who believed this!  We called them sewing bugs, and my brothers told me they would sew my lips shut!  I still hate them too!  😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good thread....funny stuff.....I can relate to some things.  Mine is ....

Anyone remember the Jack Parr Show at night?  He was before Johnny Carson.  Well, one night my brother and I were watching it.....old enough to have some smarts but this segment was so believable!!!  It was about a Spaghetti Tree....YES...Spaghetti Grows on Trees!!! 🤣 And they had film of a tree with spaghetti hanging and people "picking the spaghetti"! Jack Parr was going along and playing up the story too.   Our parents came into room and we told them what we had just learned.  They just about fell on the floor laughing!  😂

Honored Contributor

That cows were boys, and horses were girls.

Age  ???   

Honored Contributor

That banks dispensed money on demand...all you had to do was write a check. 💰😹