Valued Contributor

Re: What dumb things did you believe as a child?

I was told by an aunt that s*x was a terrible experience if you weren’t married but was a wonderful experience if you were married.

My dad used to tell my pre teen brothers that eating hot peppers would grow hair on their chests.

My mom said thunder was just the angels bowling. Whenever there would be a very loud thunder I remember thinking the angels must be bowling very well.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

My mother told me I told all the other kids babies came from seeds planted in the ground. 

@Jordan2 

I didn't ask until I was ten and afraid to grow up because of having children.

My grandmother's housekeeper told me the truth, but it was in one sentence in generalities. 

I asked her because I knew she was truthful.

Frequent Contributor

Far to young to understand the evening news when my parents watched it, whenever I heard the phrase "gorilla warfare" I thought that a bunch of gorilla's were duking it out somewhere. In my 6 or 7 year old mind, I couldn't figure out why peopl talked about these gorilla's constantly, and why they just kept fighting!

Valued Contributor

@Mizz Daizy wrote:
That my mom had eyes behind her head.

I told my son that and I think he believed me (till he got older). I explained that all women who have babies, afterwards eyes grew on the backs of their heads.

Frequent Contributor

That Mermaids came ashore during the full moon. We would spend hours watching and waiting for them.
Valued Contributor

In first grade, the nun who taught us (Sister Estelle, and I think she was about 20 minutes older than us kids) told us not to read ahead in our readers; if we did, it would make the Baby Jesus feel bad.

I went home and my Dad (from now on known as "Everett" because he was no kind of father)  encouraged me to do just opposite--to read ahead as far as I could.

What a dilemma! I was scared to death of him (with good reason); I didn't want to make the Baby Jesus feel bad but I wanted even less to make Everett feel bad, so I read as far as I could and figured the Baby Jesus could take care of himself.