Respected Contributor

Re: What does it mean when your pipes groan?

Have you bought a new washer or dishwasher lately?  I moved to a new build and everything was fine until I got a new washer.  Walls made a reverbation sound in the pipes.  Plumber came and had to make an adjustment to the valve bc the new washer was forcing more water into the pipes all at once.  Took about 3 minutes to make an adjustment, turned on the washer, dishwasher, faucets and flushed the problem to check and the noice was gone - it fixed the problem.

Super Contributor

@Dominosmom wrote:

ask a plumber

Really???

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ours bang and rattle. We know that techically it isn't a good thing but the house is large and about ninety years old.

It makes me happy because I know if the sprinklers are on or that I have forgotten to turn something off in the garden. Once the gardener put the hose on an avocado tree and forgot it. flooded the property down the hill from us. We weren't home to hear the banging  pipes.

I just want to second the "check with the plumber" suggestion. esp with winter coming

Honored Contributor

call a plumber

and ask

Trusted Contributor

@chihuahuamom  Maybe the pipes don't like what you've been sending down.  Any changes in your diet recently, like eating more beans?

LOL!!!  Sorry, I just couldn't resist!  Smiley Very Happy

~LdyBugz

Honored Contributor

Usually that I need to go to the bathroom 

Valued Contributor

Respected Contributor

I came home from a trip once some years ago, and after I used the toilet, my house sounded like a haunted house, with the loud high pitched sound after the flush. 

I asked my lawn guy who came around to mow next AM, who said it was a stuck valve in the toilet. Reflush, maybe to unstick the valve.  I didn't call the plumber but reflushing stopped the haunted house special-effect.

Valued Contributor

Ldybugz, you are funny! Thanks everyone for suggestions