Valued Contributor

What does it mean when your pipes groan?

Lol. I'm talking about your house pipes (not body Smiley LOL). Lately when I flush the toilet, the pipes go on for a while. The house was built in 1978.  I have never heard them do that before.  Is it a sign that something bad is wrong????? or are they just aging like me?

Super Contributor

Re: What does it mean when your pipes groan?

ask a plumber

Honored Contributor

Air in the pipes?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Change in water pressure?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Kitty used to stand in the bathrub..........and "listen" to the faucet.............

I assumed she "heard something".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

May be expansion/contraction due to temperature change, as in when the seasons change, especially with hot water lines in the winter.  The studs in your house also move and they can rub.

May be a bad valve somewhere.

Yes, if it concerns you by all means call your plumber.  I've called mine just to stand in a room with me and listen (my house was built in '89).  Above all, know where your main shut off is!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

That usually means there is air in the pipes.  Not a good sign.  You need to have a plumber check it out.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it's air in the pipes you usually get sputtering of air & water when you turn on a faucet as well as unusual noises when you flush. Nevertheless if you google how to get rid of air in your pipes you'll find in what turn you should open all your faucets to let them run and in what order to shut them. You can give it a try. I know this because a few months back I went through this with every faucet, I'd hear phew phew phew of air blasting out followed by water flowing then more phew phew phew and flushing I'd hear bubbly sounds.

The googling thing actually didn't work for me but it might for you. I ended up with my plumber here and he listened, naturally it didn't do it hardly at all while he was here but as soon as he left it started up again ....(just like when I took my car in last week for a persistent high pitched whining noise and it wouldn't do it there)...geez louise. He told me to do the opening & closing routine of the faucets a few more times which I did and over the next few days it just kept simmering down until it went away. No clue what caused it nor what cured it for sure.

If it's a banging noise your hearing it could be one or more of the braces that support your water pipes has come off or loose thus you get a knocking sound when flushing or shutting off a faucet. But you said groaning sound.....so maybe you're better off calling the plumber to listen.

Trusted Contributor

I live in a complex and my unit was the one where there was banging in the pipes.  Management claimed my unit had a faulty valve.  Guess what?  It turned out to be air in pipes that was affecting water pressure.  Whole system for the whole building had to be flushed and VALVE to the building had to be changed.  That cured it.  

Valued Contributor

Have you checked your hot water tank for leaks?