Respected Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

[ Edited ]

n/a

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

@tansy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I will quote my parents "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". 

Exactly why I don't post much anymore, @DiAnne.  😏 🤐

Awww, c'mon now @tansy ,

I want to see you posting more, pleeease! I enjoy and like reading your posts, except! This one about you not liking to post more.

I'll be watchin now,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

All of it.  Straight truth or nothing.  The only thing I will NOT do is say something that would cause hurt to another person that is sincerely trying their best.  

THAT is judging!

Respected Contributor

Are we simply defining lying as not telling the truth or are we also saying that not expressing our opinion is a lie too. Telling someone you think they look nice even when you hate their dress is simply suppressing your opinion. Opinions are not always truth. How something looks depends on the person looking. I may find something unattractive and you may love it. Suppressing our opinions in a social context to remain kind is part of how we build social bonds. Even lying to spare people pain, as several posters have pointed out, is an act of kindness, which makes the act of lying a complex subject.

A lie to inflict pain, divert consequences, or for personal gain breaks bonds. I strive to be truthful with facts and in my relationships but will certainly not make someone feel bad about a fashion choice by expressing my opinion.

Valued Contributor

@KatieB and that's the plain and simple truth!

Valued Contributor

@jubilant Don't answer that question Horace!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Anything that you KNOW is not true.  However I really think motive has to be part of the equation.  I don't want to cause anyone harm or hurt their feelings... so if I am approached and the anwer will hurt or destroy the person asking, I will fiddle with the truth.

Valued Contributor

@Styleovertrend 

I lie every time I eat at my MIL’s house and compliment her delicious meals. That way things don’t get ugly and I also eat something nutritious beforehand. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Anything that you KNOW is not true.  However I really think motive has to be part of the equation.  I don't want to cause anyone harm or hurt their feelings... so if I am approached and the anwer will hurt or destroy the person asking, I will fiddle with the truth.

@bonnielu 

LOL.    Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Since this thread has gotten "a little dramatic" ......Did you know that lying is one of the 6 or 7 things God hates most? So, yes, I am careful about lying.

With that said, I do know if a burglar broke into my house and asked if anyone else was here with me, I would say "no"....all the time knowing I had hid my child in the closet. God would understand.