Honored Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

If a friend asked me if she was fat, the first thing I could do is  answer a question with a question. You could say, "Why do you ask me that"? If she say's ....."because I really want to know if you think I am".  Then you could say,  " Maybe you should get one of those height and weight charts from your doctor and go by that" (which is kinder than saying, "go look in the mirror"!).

There are so many other things to say that would still keep you honest. If you can't think fast enough at the moment simply smile and say,  "I don't answer questions like that".

Also,you always have the option to look someone in the eye and say, "I  consider that a "loaded" question". 

Really, when you think about it,   the person asking a question like that is being inconsiderate.  There are, of course exceptions to the rule especially if you and the person have a relationship where you are used to "telling it like it is" and no one  gets offended.

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

[ Edited ]

@Styleovertrend wrote:

For me, small lies are lies. Lying to save hurt feeelings is lying. Also, embellishing a story so it contains things that didn't happen is lying as well as leaving out certain details when asked is being deceptive, which I consider lying. I would rather have someone tell me that they don't want to tell me something instead of offering me a lie. 

@Styleovertrend  - This is really a wonderful thread. I feel challenged by it, in a good way.

I think there ARE "good" "lies". Maybe even important lies. I think it because I'm old. If I were young I might not feel the same way.

My training was in language, and I consider the language of truth, and the language of the lie.

I consider nuance, and culture, and emotion and is "fact" the same as "truth"?

Not so sure. Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

Taking a job away from someone who is truly qualified by lying throug your miserable teeth that you are qualified.  

Honored Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

(I'm having issues getting my name back fyi) I am cbrite.

When a person's life, welfare, health, financial status and entire being depends on a person or persons telling them the truth, it can seriously harm and damage them forever. It's severe abuse in it's worst form. It can kill and/or destroy an entire life of a very good person.

I'd rather hear the worst truth than the best lie. 

(Could care less if someone told me my clothes are ugly or if I have spinach stuck in my teeth) 

(Now a "pathological liar" is the worst thing you want to ever meet.)

@cbrite  How did you lose your name?

Honored Contributor

Do you realize how many people tell those so called "little white lies"?  Sometimes the truth is too hurtful for people thus people stretch the truth.  I don't say it is right but it is done.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

LOL I did not "lose" it...I was trying to change it so my 'reviews' and 'forum name' were different...n cog nee toe.......and went to my sign in on my account but it would not work no matter what I put in.... finally contacted the mods by email....I'm turned around/been sick and put it off/forgot till I logged in. hth

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

I love my job

Thank you for calling

Nice to see you again

Oh yeah I remember...

I don't mind (that) for dinner again

No I don't need any help

etc

sorry-- not sorry got to keep the peace at work, at home & in public

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I love my job

Thank you for calling

Nice to see you again

Oh yeah I remember...

I don't mind (that) for dinner again

No I don't need any help

etc

sorry-- not sorry got to keep the peace at work, at home & in public

How about, "How are you doing?"

" Fine".

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

LOL I did not "lose" it...I was trying to change it so my 'reviews' and 'forum name' were different...n cog nee toe.......and went to my sign in on my account but it would not work no matter what I put in.... finally contacted the mods by email....I'm turned around/been sick and put it off/forgot till I logged in. hth

@cbrite  Oh okay gotcha.

Honored Contributor

@Styleovertrend wrote:

For me, small lies are lies. Lying to save hurt feeelings is lying. Also, embellishing a story so it contains things that didn't happen is lying as well as leaving out certain details when asked is being deceptive, which I consider lying. I would rather have someone tell me that they don't want to tell me something instead of offering me a lie. 

@Styleovertrend 

Ok then. From your post I have to assume you practice what you preach. I understand what you expect of others. With that, I know you have never committed any of the heinous things you mentioned.

If you've made it past 5 or 6 decades of life expecting that from others, and not practiced it yourself? I think you are ????

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)