Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you hate about the holidays?

I don't hate them just there isn't anyone around anymore. Just my son and me. I feel left out for I was brought up Jewish. Too bad QVC can't mention this holiday.

Valued Contributor

Oh, my. I am reluctant to respond because I am going to sound so negative. There is nothing I like about the holidays anymore. It’s all high expectations and obligations. I do not enjoy the season one bit.
Trusted Contributor

Not having a large family.  Often spend the holidays home with the hubby and our little dog.  Yes, I'm very thankful to have them, but sometimes wish there were more family members to spend the holidays with us.  Never had any children and when I look at some of the pictures on Facebook of my friends and their large extended familes, it makes me a little sad that we don't have many family members - people that sincerely care and love us.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Not having a large family.  Often spend the holidays home with the hubby and our little dog.  Yes, I'm very thankful to have them, but sometimes wish there were more family members to spend the holidays with us.  Never had any children and when I look at some of the pictures on Facebook of my friends and their large extended familes, it makes me a little sad that we don't have many family members - people that sincerely care and love us.

@BunSnoop

Do you know a neighbor, a coworker or an acquaintance or two you might invite to join you?  That might make it like a party for you.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I don't hate them just there isn't anyone around anymore. Just my son and me. I feel left out for I was brought up Jewish. Too bad QVC can't mention this holiday.

@halfpint1

How about celebrating Chanukah with your son.  Target always has Chanukah decorations, and there are plenty of menu suggestions and recipes online. 

Frequent Contributor

Putting the lights on our Christmas tree. My husband says I'm the only one who can make the tree look beautiful. I know it's a compliment but my hands get sticky from the sap and the needles scratch my hands (I kinow I should wear some type of gloves), but it's only once a year so I'll just deal with it. It's Christmas!

Respected Contributor

I love everything about the holidays!  The hustle & bustle, the planning, shopping, gift wrapping, Christmas carols, gathering with my family & friends, decorating the house, the food, the egg nog, the champagne, the cookies, the holiday cards, holiday movies.... It really is the "most wonderful time of the year..." It's a season of love...

Respected Contributor

There is nothing I hate about the Holidays. It truly is a wonderful time of year. Love all the decorations, making cards and sending them out. Family gatherings, playing cards and games, laughing, the food. And no we don't forget the reason for the season. Donating and volunteering. I even like going to the Mall and checking out the decorations and sales. Piling in the car to drive around looking at all the homes brightly lit. Love it when it snows too! The holidays are what you make of them.

Trusted Contributor

The one thing I hate about the holidays is family members who won't put aside their differences to enjoy a get together with other family members.  One should not have to have multiple get-togethers because these family members can't be in the same room together.   

Esteemed Contributor

I hate that they start months before they get here. What happened to Thanksgiving? No mention go right to X-Mas. Everything is a big rush......run..  buy, buy.