Respected Contributor

Re: What color was your prom dress?

'61: yellow and white gingham cotton with subtle eyelet trim. Tight bodice and full skirt. My aunt, who was the best dressed and groomed woman I've every met, bought it for me.

She had three sons and treated me like the daughter she never had. She sent me to one of those shops for high end clothes where you had a special salesperson who knew you.

I went alone but had an appointment with "salesperson." I hesitated because I didn't wear much yellow but I remember her saying,"blondes should wear yellow."

I still remember the store: Tegler's

Respected Contributor

I can't believe people can remember such details.  I can pictures photos of me in a peach dress and in a royal blue dress.  I don't know which was prom and which was homecoming.

Honored Contributor

Junior prom, blue.  Senior prom, peach.

Super Contributor

Baby blue...1980 Senior Prom....need I say more

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Preds, what a jerk! If I were her, I would have been mad at him also picking the same dress as you! I am sure you wore it better though!

@Preds wrote:

Mint green for the first one.  Pink for my Senior prom. Boyfriend picked it out.  We broke up and the girl he brought had the same dress on in white. Yep, he picked hers out too.  Cream with floral bottom for the last one.   He graduated the year after I did.  

I did, she was and it was their first and last date.  She and I had a good laugh and had our picture made together. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wore a white dress, tight bodice, spaghetti straps,  A line skirt.  It had small fabric pastel flowers appliqued to parts of the skirt.  I had seen it in the window of Jordan Marsh (a now defunct Boston dept store) while shopping with my mother, and she must have seen me eyeing it--I didn't say anything about it but thought it was the prettiest dress ever. 

She secretly bought it for me; fortunately I ended up being asked!  My date wore a seersucker tux, which I also thought was fabulous.   This was for senior prom.

Our proto-hippie late 60s class was a little "different" and had voted not to have a junior prom.

ETA:  A wonderful gathering during the 80s booked itself not as our 20th but as our belated "Junior Prom."

Honored Contributor

Since our song (yes we went steady our senior year) was Blue Velvet, my mom made my dress (I loved it!) of a white bodace and blue velvet, floor length gown. That was the only prom that mattered to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My junior prom (the biggie for us in 1966)  dress was white organza with a few embroidered flowers on the skirt and velvet ribbon at the waist.  I loved it and still have it.

Our prom was in April when nights and chilly.  This was the age of white bunny wraps. (my sister had one)  I chose to make an elegant (very Jackie Kennedy-esque)  long white brocade coat.  It was so pretty I didn't want to take it off.

Respected Contributor

I don't remember.  It wasn't on for that long.

Sheesh!  Get your minds out of the gutter!  My date spilled punch all over the front and I changed into jeans.

Honored Contributor

1978 and 1979, two proms, same school, same dress both years (oh the horror!! LOL)

It was off white, kind of cream. Sheer long sleeves, lacy high neck, I loved it, and was more than happy to wear it for two years. 

Still back in the day where lots of gowns were very modest, but lovely just the same. 

Mine, too, might have passed for a very informal wedding gown in the right setting.