Honored Contributor

Helpful info for those who have e mail through MSN.com,outlook .com,hotmail.com or live.com

According to an article in my local paper this AM - after June, if you want to use these e mail addys you will be required to surf to outlook .com to do so. You will need an e mail addy and a password. I use live.com and I already go through outlook so I am not expecting any change to occur for me, but just bringing it up in case someone doesn't , they will NEED to go to outlook . com and get set up. 

When I first went with outlook I didn't like it , it seemed difficult to use but I learned and now I am quite content with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Helpful info for those who have e mail through MSN.com,outlook .com,hotmail.com or live.com

I have always had hotmail which goes through outlook and had no problem so I will see what happens in June like you said.

Respected Contributor

Re: Helpful info for those who have e mail through MSN.com,outlook .com,hotmail.com or live.com

MSN started this about a year ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update on the recent article you saw, but I believe this will turn out to be a non-issue for most users.

I have a hotmail account (maybe 15+ years old) and was notified a year or 2 ago that it is usable as hotmail but has migrated to outlook.  If you go to homail dot com, outlook dot com or live dot com they are all the same--you reach the same sign in page.  Mail can also be accessed thru msn.com.

If all these sign-in portals disappear in June and we have to use Outlook onlly, we'll just sign in with our usual info, I presume.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia The news article was short and not very specific but I am assuming the same as you. Since I already go to outlook in my bookmarks to get my e mail I assume it will stay the same, however, my phone does not go to outlook so I may have to set up outlook on the phone to get my e mails.

Honored Contributor

Easily found and loaded outlook for mobile devices on my phone. So I'm not expecting any difficulties.

Valued Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Thanks for the update on the recent article you saw, but I believe this will turn out to be a non-issue for most users.

I have a hotmail account (maybe 15+ years old) and was notified a year or 2 ago that it is usable as hotmail but has migrated to outlook.  If you go to homail dot com, outlook dot com or live dot com they are all the same--you reach the same sign in page.  Mail can also be accessed thru msn.com.

If all these sign-in portals disappear in June and we have to use Outlook onlly, we'll just sign in with our usual info, I presume.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

I.hate Outlook email,  I have it since  it was called Hotmail in the beginning.    The service was better then.  About 1.5 years ago, they said we had to pay for service without ads in the email.  I did. .  That lasted for a few months, then they officially changed our accts to Outlook.  It is not working on and off,  IE is just as bad.  It takes an act of congress to open up mail some days.  I think Microsoft is wanting to drop the email stuff all together.  They show no interest in taking care of IE or Outlook like they once did.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty      I have hotmail and don't know what you mean about ads in the emails?  I don't get ads and I would never pay for email as there are so many free alternatives to hotmail/outlook. 

Do you have AdblockPlus installed on your browsers?  It does a great job in blocking adds at no cost.   Don't use IE if you don't like it.  Firefox or Chrome are much better.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia

A few years ago in my area, they warned us they would be changing in the following couple years.  But they were offering 2 types of email accounts until it changed.  One was private with no ads surrounding it.  That would be 9.95 every 3 months.  Otherwise they would have ads around the page, sort of like many free email accounts.  I paid the fee, but about 4 months later they changed to the new Outlook I currently have.  It is okay, but i prefer the ease of yahoo.  Outlook here is always off line.  As is IE.  Microsoft, as I mentioned is moving in another direction and IE has been so outdated in many ways.  It is even hard to use here on QVC.I have no trouble with Chrome, or other browsers.  JMHO.