Super Contributor

Without a doubt, I would cancel and offer to pay her.

Respected Contributor

I have a cleaning person every other week.  In March she came March 3 and March 12.  Both times were before all the concern.  As March had an extra week I cancelled her March 31 visit and paid her.

In April I cancelled and paid on April 14; then had her come April 26.  She is laid off from her regular job and her other cleaning jobs were cancelled except one.  I do not feel she is going to "give" us the virus an we keep our distance (alot more than 6 feet as in separate floors)  she is comng again tomorrow. 

But in all reasonableness, if she worked in a nursing home, she definitely would not be coming into my house either now or in the future.  I think I would give her a "bonus" and find someone else for future cleaning.  Sorry if that sounds callous, but I call it common sense.

As retail in our area opened up today and office, manufacturing, etc last week and medical two weeks ago, we are opening up in our area. I have decided at my age something is going to get me, hopefully not the virus, but I am tired of living in fear and spending the few years remaining to me as an "elderly" person unhappy as a shut in and away from people.  Fortunately we do have low numbers in our area, and I am not going to go "hog wild", but I am loosing up my staying at home as I have been pretty much housebound since March 12 and I am sick and tired of it.  I will wear a mask to protect others.

The virus is with us unfortunately and is pretty much here to stay IMO and we can't stay shut in and living this abnormal situation forever.  We may or may not get a vaccine - hopefully we will develop an effective one, but who knows when. 

Super Contributor

I would cancel and pay.  I furloughed my weekly housekeeper two months ago and send her a check every week.  It’s been hard for me to develop a schedule to do the cleaning myself, but I think I finally came up with a workable plan since I won’t have confidence to have her back for quite awhile.  Sad to say....   

And she will be so very appreciated when she returns!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: What Would You Do?

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all your replies.  I think your responses confirmed what I was feeling but I just needed some feedback.

I talked with her this evening and explained that I am hesitant to have anyone in the house.  I do go out to get groceries and do not want to expose her or second-hand expose the residents of the nursing home.  

I am going to pay her the full amount and we talked about not having her clean until this is under better control.  Our county has a low number of cases, but I wonder if that is a true representation of its presence or if it's just that people haven't been tested.  The other day 7 people tested positive in a cheese slicing plant.  Prior to that we only had 9 confirmed cases for a long time, then there were 2 more cases, and then the 7.  Kind of makes me think that if enough kits are available, all people who handle food in any scenario should be tested.

Thank you for all your responses.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't take the chance at all. 

I'm not even letting my adult son in our home right now. He comes to visit, and we sit outside, at least 6 feet apart. 

It just wouldn't be worth it to me to let anyone in my home that wasn't absolutely necessary.

Valued Contributor

@wismiss  Cancel and as a nice gesture you can pay her what she would have earned or 1/2, especially since you are cancelling so late (I think).  Or don't pay her, it's your call and whatever you decide don't feel guilty.  But you need to decide pronto, it's already Tuesday.   Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

This woman needs a day away from work. I would cancel the house cleaning this month, and pay her. I would continue paying her until she can come back to work for you. 

Respected Contributor

Better to be safe at this time.  People need to expect things to change.  You may want to put her services on hold for a bit.  She works in a place that is being hit hard.  P!us she may be cleaning other homes as well.

I do not even get together with family without using ppe.  No visiting up close.

Honored Contributor

I definitely would not have her come in!  Especially since you say she works at a nursing home.  By having her come in to your home, you are essentially exposing yourself to all the people --- which are probably a lot - that she is exposed to daily!  No, please think seriously about this.  Also, she will be all over your home, touching all your things!!!  

I would simply tell her that you are limiting your exposure, so you are postponing ALL visitors into your home at this time!  And ---that you will send her the amount that she normally receives in appreciation for her service.  I would also tell her that when you are ready to resume her services, you will give her a call.  Better safe than sorry and better to have your piece of mind! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I would cancel and pay her.  We have not been having our cleaning lady come and we've still been paying her.

I just don't feel comfortable with anyone else in the house yet.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?