Respected Contributor

What We Can all do now re: Covid19

I emailed my senators this morning asking them to call for a lockdown of all nursing homes in my state.  This would mean that only the nursing home professionals and staff be allowed entry, but no visitors from outside.  

Our nursing home population is the most vulnerable to this virus.  If it enters their facility, it is basically the Angel of Death.  After what happened in Washington state, I don't think I'm exaggerating here.

Yes, my dad is in a nursing home and I'm scared for him. But even if you don't have a loved one in a NH, that doesn't mean you can't care about these folks.  They're the hard workers, the shop owners we grew up with, teachers, grandparents, aunt and uncles who went before us and made our country better for us.  Some are veterans of Korea and Vietnam.  And some are part of that very vulnerable, very elderly population who served in WWII, referred to as The Greatest Generation.  We owe them a debt of gratitude that can never really be paid.   It's our turn to protect them.

Honored Contributor

Re: What We Can all do now re: Covid19

Nursing home staff and professionals the people who deliver food, supplies, laundry etc etc are as vulnerable to COVID 19 as anyone else and it's asymptomatic in some people so they don't even know they have it.  This thing is not as simple as you seem to think it is.  The experts and professionals are doing all they can do.

Esteemed Contributor

The Coronavirus is like a runaway train. We got a late start & now it's out of control.All the testing raises the count but lowers the death rate. It's of vital importance that we keep testing so that we get an accurate count.

By having an accurate count we will have a better understanding of where the virus has taken hold.Then we can focus on those areas.We must continue to quarantine & self isolate to control the spread.Most people will be fine.

It's nerve racking & upsetting but I think with a little diligence & less hysteria we can conquer this monster.

My poor husband is freaking out.I'm trying to keep the calm. It isn't easy.

"There but for the grace of God go I".

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

The Coronavirus is like a runaway train. We got a late start & now it's out of control.All the testing raises the count but lowers the death rate. It's of vital importance that we keep testing so that we get an accurate count.

By having an accurate count we will have a better understanding of where the virus has taken hold.Then we can focus on those areas.We must continue to quarantine & self isolate to control the spread.Most people will be fine.

It's nerve racking & upsetting but I think with a little diligence & less hysteria we can conquer this monster.

In what way did we get a late start?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

According to the news this morning its on the decline.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

The local VA hospital implemented limits on visitors. Only one visitor at a time. No one under 16. You get screened at the entrance. At the clinics, only the patient and one adult guest. No children.
Esteemed Contributor

Heard on TV many housing for the elderly have issued a ...No Visitors  (already)

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips  Our government waited 6 weeks to act from the time they got the information.That's why we're behind in testing.But at this point we have to look forward not backward.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Are you saying we should quarantine and self isolate as a preventive?  Even if we aren't sick?

Not happening.  Taking precautions, but not hiding in a cave.  Your signature infers that you are a believer as I am also.  Be as cautious as you can be, but trust in the Lord.  He is the ultimate protector.  No one is mentioning or   remembering that here.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Washington state. Now the retirement home up the street from me has a positive test for one of their residents, and a high school nearby as well. I am trying not to over react, but at the same time, I am very anxious. I have asthma and diabetes, which puts me at risk. I also have a delicate respiratory system.  Nevertheless, I am not locking myself in my house. I played pinochle two weeks in a row at a Town Center mall, but we brought Lysol and sanitizer. Very few people were there, certainly not the usual Mahjong and bridge players, and the food courts had very few people as well. It WOULD be nice if I could get some hand sanitizer as I am completely out, but that's not going to happen. Governor Cuoma in NY has his prisoners making the stuff. Perhaps they should do that elsewhere as well.