Honored Contributor

Re: What We Can all do now re: Covid19

@amyb wrote:

CT just put out an order today ...can't visit my mom at her assisted living for the forseeable future. Smiley Sad

They DID let me enter to pay the bill! Woman Wink

Of course I'm happy they are taking precautions for this most vulnerable portion of our population. On the other hand, as someone here said...the health workers will have to really take precautions as they will be out and about and still taking care of our loved ones. Also, it will really limit the quality of life for them...no weekly live music, (one of mom's favorite things) and other things they are limiting.  Each day is a gift at this point so I hope this does not go on long. They are saying, at this point, we can still pick up our loved ones to go out...but they are imposing limitations as to where you can take them...though not sure how they can enforce that.

Wow, that is strict.  We pay our mom's bills online, so don't need to be there in purpose for that reason.  Our dad passed away this last year (he lived there, too) so she gets at least three visits a week from family members.   

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@amyb wrote:

CT just put out an order today ...can't visit my mom at her assisted living for the forseeable future. Smiley Sad

They DID let me enter to pay the bill! Woman Wink

Of course I'm happy they are taking precautions for this most vulnerable portion of our population. On the other hand, as someone here said...the health workers will have to really take precautions as they will be out and about and still taking care of our loved ones. Also, it will really limit the quality of life for them...no weekly live music, (one of mom's favorite things) and other things they are limiting.  Each day is a gift at this point so I hope this does not go on long. They are saying, at this point, we can still pick up our loved ones to go out...but they are imposing limitations as to where you can take them...though not sure how they can enforce that.

Wow, that is strict.  We pay our mom's bills online, so don't need to be there in purpose for that reason.  Our dad passed away this last year (he lived there, too) so she gets at least three visits a week from family members.   

I could mail the bill, but not pay online...and when I showed up to do so today is when I found out about the new ban on visits...it was all just happening.  

I'm the only child, so I'm there ar least 3-4 times a week, usually taking her out to dinner or lunch one of those days.  She looks forward to these times, so we will have to see... not going to worry yet.  Talked to the director today, she said only one family member reacted badly today, and  basically told her he'd be back and she couldn't stop him from visiting his mother. So we'll have to see as time goes on how people react. Including myself! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

China didn’t release key genetic data on the coronavirus until about two weeks after it emerged that a new SARS-like illness may be sickening people, highlighting the need for outbreak detection systems to incorporate modern scientific tools.

Insufficient attention was paid to the information doctors had gathered about the genetic sequence of the novel coronavirus, scientists said in a commentary paper in the Lancet medical journal Tuesday. The authors, who include two members of the World Health Organization’s emergency committee, said this wasn’t the result of a cover-up or deliberate delay, but rather the absence of mechanisms to inform outbreak warning systems.

The data were generated by a genomic analysis technique known as next-generation sequencing that represents an advance in the detection of new pathogens. Once the sequence of the so-called 2019-nCoV virus was shared publicly via the World Health Organization, scientists around the globe used it to diagnose cases. The pneumonia-causing virus, which emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019, has infected about 45,000 people, killing over 1,110, mostly in China.

“To be fair to the authorities, I think all national responses would do what the Chinese did,” said Lin Fa Wang, one of the four authors of the Lancet paper. “This is not a cover up or delay, this is all about policy and ‘rules of engagement’ for reporting. I hope people focus on the lessons learned.”

This was briefly mentioned on the news report tonight with Pence.  I believe one of the doctors mentioned it.   I think it may have been Dr. Birx.  Something about us not getting the dna code from China in a timely manner.

Honored Contributor

@amyb    Well, I do have this to say about the man who was upset about not being able to visit his mother.....at least he cares!   As I'm sure you've noticed, many seniors in assisted living rarely get visitors ☹️

Valued Contributor

I know that in my area the polling places that are usually in an assisted living/ nursing home have been changed to new locations.

I have an elderly mother (late 80's) who lives in a condo with the assistance of one of my brothers. She has a serious heart health issue and other health issues. 

Other than a few excursions out (today is one) she is a home.

Concerning for the older people but then also for anyone.