Esteemed Contributor

Re: What To Do With One's Belongings

About the books, there is a local man on fb who buys books. He has a booth at a local resale shop where he sells them. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many options to donate things.  You have to do your research of what is available in your area.  IMO, taking time to sell items is too much trouble for what you will get and it just drags on the emotions of having to get rid of stuff that may be sentimental.

In my area places are and have been still taking donations even through the pandemic as people are more and more in need.  While libraries won't accept books there are many that have book bins outside that you can drop books in, they are then donated to places in need, such as schools, even in other countries.    Clothing and shoes are always a welcome donation,  our area churches even accept those items.  

I wish you well and having done this particular thing myself , know it can be tedius and difficult.

Honored Contributor

Talk to an auction place.  They put my mothers things in a general auction with others items.  They came to the house and checked it all out and did the hauling.  Dont be surprised at the little amount you will receive for the items.  While moms things were in pristine shape they were considered out dated and no one really wanted them.  I got a paultry amount for everything, but felt lucky to "unload" my problem.

@Jordan2 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

When my husbands grandmother passed the family got in touch with a local auction company. They came and got everything, they have a huge building where they held the auction. I'm not sure if they are still having auctions though because of Covid. 

@Jordan2  Agree that an auction company is a good route if you have furniture, china and silverware and collectibles like Lladro, Royal Doulton, Hummels and dolls. The one near me came to my parents house and took the items, photograhed and listed everything in specific auctions and sold everything. So much better than just "junking" or donating because it seems that no one will want the items. Of course, they get their cut and you have no control over the amount the items will sell for, but it is better than getting nothing or having to pay someone just to take the items.

Esteemed Contributor

Our parents' belongings which were not given to friends or family members were donated to the Goodwill and local shelters.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Jordan2 - I know what you are going through. I have MANY Rubbermaid tubs of things from my parent's house. The stuff is too nice to throw away but no one seems to want crystal, china, hand painted plates, hand made pottery from Japan, damask tablecloths, etc.

You mentioned books. The nursing home where my parents lived did not take them. BUT the nursing home that my husband's mother was in, did. They had a library set up. So the resident and visitors could take books and either keep them or return then. It seemed to work out well. Maybe there is a nursing home in your area that does the same thing. Not sure during the pandemic if they have added restrictions.

Good Luck - hope you aren't like me and years later still have Rubbermaid tubs of stuff.

Used books--another donation possibility are churches.  I had boxes of paperbacks that a local church took.  They have an outreach program with the prison system.  They were extremely glad to get them.  

Or look into other charities like homeless/women's shelters who may be interested. 

My parents lived in an adult community that kept a small library for the residents.  They were always glad to get new books for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who has done this multiple times, my advice is to pick out the things you want and donate everything else to Goodwill and drive quickly....quickly.....away. Squeal of tires in the parking lot quickly away.

You'll be emotional, it's extremely difficult to "dismantle" someone's life, but I found just pulling that bandaid off really quickly and have it hurt for just a short time is much easier on my emotional state than labor with categories of things and trying to decide what the "very best" option for each and every one.

Only exception I made was taking old eyeglasses to my eye doctor for donation to the Lion's Club.

Decluttering can be very freeing actually.  You will drive yourself bonkers laboring over every single item.

Wishing you the best during this.  It is so hard. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

When my husbands grandmother passed the family got in touch with a local auction company. They came and got everything, they have a huge building where they held the auction. I'm not sure if they are still having auctions though because of Covid. 

If you don't have enough items for a separate auction, our local auction company often puts together several estates at one time to auction.

Do check thoroughly their commission prices before committing, however.

Respected Contributor

I sell on ebay and its very easy to do and I would advise to look into it.  You can really make some extra money on the belongings instead of just giving them away.  Its really alot of fun!  

Honored Contributor

facebook: many towns have swap/donate groups you can list your stuff

freecycle same

start there,  

again with facebook reach out to resellers to take your stuff they will be happy to