Honored Contributor

Re: What Does "I Don't Judge" Mean to You?

@Starpolisher wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

It's kinda like when people say "it's not about the money"..."....... hey it's ALL about the money. Same with this baby...I don't judge means I already decided (judgin' done)!

I agree. For me, this also brings to mind when people say, "I don't  see color"...when talking about race.

Of course people see color.  But the question is do you form your opinion on the color or on the person?  Do you expect something or do you get to know them and see who they really are? 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I always thought it meant that the person does not have an opinion one way or the other.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I think it means I don't like whatever it is you're doing or saying but I don't expect you to repent or change yourself over it or be punished over it.  I'm judging you because I don't like whatever, but it does not mean YOU have to do anything about it.  It's what I think and I how I feel but that's on me.  Because whether we think we do or don't we make judgements all day long, every day and that's normal. 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Respected Contributor

I am not able to check in here too often these days, but "I do not judge" in general (not here in particular)  I think means a person is going to express an opinion that sounds like it may be a judgment, and isn't favorable, but still isn't intending to be hostile.  

Sometimes people want to intercept the idea that they are hastening too fast to judgment.

This could be a defense but it could be what it says--taking a position that differs, but not standing in judgment.

Esteemed Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

It's kinda like when people say "it's not about the money"..."....... hey it's ALL about the money. Same with this baby...I don't judge means I already decided (judgin' done)!

I agree. For me, this also brings to mind when people say, "I don't  see color"...when talking about race.

Don't you just love that one??  I have a neighbor who says that a lot.  I always answer her with "and what color is it that you don't see?""""  She also says "I never met a stranger"  LOL

Respected Contributor

I think it is ridiculous when people say they don't "judge."  Of course they do.  We all do.

For those who claim they don't - do they seriously expect us to believe they have no opinion on the behavior of others - legal/illegal, moral/immoral, right/wrong.

Now someone's judgment may not agree with someone else's judgement, but to claim that anyone just goes through life having no thoughts one way or the other about whatever anyone does is just plain unbelievable.

What's much  worse than judgement in my view, is the insistence that everyone must agree with your opinion or the namecalling starts.  I would much rather have a conversation about why I judge something wrong/immoral/illegal etc., than simply tell someone who disagrees they are wrong - or evil.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Nothing. To me, it's no different when someone starts a sentence with " I don't mean to offend but...." or " If you ask my opinion.....".

I judge when it comes to some things. I don't judge in all things. I also realize that no once cares except for those close to me what I think OR the person that ASKS for my opinion.

@SahmIam  Excellent reply!    

Honored Contributor

People think they are much better and more easy going than they really are and everyone judges everyone and everything all the time. I don't know why people get up on their high horses about it, it's just human nature. we just have to learn to keep our opinions to ourselves.

Esteemed Contributor

I know for a fact some people have stopped voicing their opinions to avoid the judging. We just quietly use our right to “judge” in the booth.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

“ I don’t judge” means “ I don’t judge others” which means they are getting ready to do just that