Honored Contributor

Re: What Does "I Don't Judge" Mean to You?

it means---yes I am judging!! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good question.  Personally, I have never used that expression nor has anyone I ever talked with said it to me.  What does it mean?  Well, I believe we all judge people and stories we hear or read.  It could be good, it could be bad,   Part of the meaning of the word judge is...to think or suppose.  Don't we all do that?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Good question.  Personally, I have never used that expression nor has anyone I ever talked with said it to me.  What does it mean?  Well, I believe we all judge people and stories we hear or read.  It could be good, it could be bad,   Part of the meaning of the word judge is...to think or suppose.  Don't we all do that?

@Lindsays Grandma Yes, I think we do.  Othewise there would be no right or wrong about anything. 

Honored Contributor

Each to his own

Whatever floats your boat

What's good for you, you live with

Respected Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

It's kinda like when people say "it's not about the money"..."....... hey it's ALL about the money. Same with this baby...I don't judge means I already decided (judgin' done)!

I agree. For me, this also brings to mind when people say, "I don't  see color"...when talking about race.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

To me if you do say “I don’t judge”, you more than likely do.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I judge all the time, maybe even constantly, but I filter and limit the judgements that I comment on.

If it’s readily obvious to me that my input will have no constructive result on what I’m judging, I keep my judgment to myself.

I read comments here and elsewhere that are strictly personal judgements, not facts, strictly subjective. Maybe that doesn’t seem like “judging” but it usually is. When someone posts about something they love, and someone else then refers to the beloved item as “junk” or “ugly” or the old favorite H WORD (hideous), fact is, the follow up comment is JUDGING. 

So am I judging as I write this? Definitely. If I hear someone using overwrought language to describe something in a way that demeans someone else, I sometimes lower my filter and object.

”Hideous” describes something. What it describes is a thing or situation egregiously at odds with “pleasant”, “reasonable”, “appropriate”. It’s a word I choose not to use slavishly, and never about something involving someone else’s personal taste. 

Honored Contributor

Everyone judges - you can call it an opinion or critque but judging all the same wrapped in a different color bow

Having said that - some subjects you may not comment on but judging internally

Honored Contributor

I think we all judge, even if we don't think we do.

And some of us are better at not letting on that we judge.

How many times do you read a post and think, "Well, that's stupid."?  You're judging.  Fortunately, most of us know when to keep our mouths shut.

Respected Contributor

I try not to judge people because I truly believe we can't walk in others shoes. They have got to show their true selves before I have the right to judge them.
Maybe I have been lucky. I have met more good people then bad.