Respected Contributor

My former gym trainer is getting married, I wasn't invited to the wedding but thought a card and some money would be nice.

My friends tell me that I shouldn't be giving him a gift since I wasn't invited to the wedding.

I just thought it would be nice, any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

I gave a gift to a coworker who was getting married yet I wasn't invited to the wedding which I completely understood.  A lot of people don't have the money to invite anyone other than family and dear friends.  

I say go for it!  I think it is beyond gracious and nice of you to do so and I'm sure your trainer will be more than appreciative that you thought of them.  

Respected Contributor

If you would like to send a card, that is fine but there is no need for money. You weren't invited to the wedding.

Honored Contributor

You can give a gift to anyone for any reason. In addition, YOU decide the gift.... no one else. 

Do what you feel is best in your heart. : )

Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding Gift Question

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

A lot of people don't have the money to invite anyone other than family and dear friends.  

If you are spending money on a card and giving it with best wishes, is it any less thoughtful when a gift of money isn't included?

A card is a nice gesture. A gift of any kind isn't expected and in no way should you feel obligated.

Honored Contributor

Do what you want.  It's your money.  It will make you feel good and make the bride and groom happy.  That's all that matters. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

While you have no obligation of course if you wish to give him a card with some small amount of money you should certainly feel free to do so.  

Honored Contributor

@CalMom wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

A lot of people don't have the money to invite anyone other than family and dear friends.  

If you are spending money on a card and giving it with best wishes, it is any less thoughtful when a gift of money isn't included?

A card is a nice gesture. A gift of any kind isn't expected and in no way should you feel obligated.

@CalMom  Of course not.  To me, someone simply saying Congratulations when they hear news of my engagement is a gift.  No one has to buy you a card, give you money, a gift, show up at your function, etc.  

My point in saying the above and maybe what the friend may possibly be saying is sometimes people feel uncomfortable when they are given a gift and they didn't even invite you to share in the festivities.  I think that's ridiculous because there are a lot of reasons why someone has the guest list they do.  And this sounds like a client trainer relationship and not someone you would think of to invite to a day when most people pay a lot of money to have you there.  

Being a nice person and acknowledging someone's day, however you choose to do it, should and probably will be appreciated no matter what.  

Honored Contributor

Gee, give a gift if so moved. That's very nice of you w/o having to be invited. It's the thought that counts.

Trusted Contributor

I think it's a lovely idea!  A gift is something you give, with no strings attached.  It's given from your heart.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"