Trusted Contributor

I agree with many of the othes.  Give a gift if you are so inclined.

As to your friends who say not to.  What is up with peole these days?  Only give a gift if you get something in exchange (i.e. an invitation)?

Esteemed Contributor

If you want to give a gift, then give it and I am sure that it will be appreciated.  I would think that it would really depend on your relationship with that trainer.  At Christmas, I always give my trainers at the Y a small gift certificate from the WaWa (a convenience store if you are not familiar) and the amount depends on how much contact I have with that trainer.  I do not give one when I no longer have a workout relationship with a trainer. 

It all depends on what you are comfortable doing.  I generally use the "when in doubt--don't" theory if I am conflicted.  If you see your former trainer out and about, you can always offer congratulations and good wishes.  If you don't think that is enough, then send a card and a gift certificate.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I'm sure your gift will be appreciated.  How nice of you to do that. 

Valued Contributor

Yes

On things like this...where there are no "right" answers, I find if I listen to my heart, it always turns out fine. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

I agree with many of the othes.  Give a gift if you are so inclined.

As to your friends who say not to.  What is up with peole these days?  Only give a gift if you get something in exchange (i.e. an invitation)?

If I were the bride and this person wasn't invited to the wedding, reception or showers, I would feel a little bad if they sent a gift.  I think a sweet card alone is the most appropriate thing to do.  But that's just me.  I wouldn't want the chance the couple might be embarrassed and I think the card is certainly enough on its own.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling

My thoughts? I wouldn't, I give very few presents to anyone. That said, your thoughts and actions are only yours. What would make you feel better?  Than do whatever that might be.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

If you want to send a card with money, I think that is your business.  I certainly don't think you are out of line for doing that. If you just sent a card, I think that would be fine too.  It's whatever you want to do.

I know someone who was recently married. They had talked about planning the wedding and then out of the blue they decided to just get married while on vacation.  When they arrived back home, I sent them a card with a gift card in it.  Several months later they had a reception and my DH and I weren't invited. Didn't bother me in the least.  I see her occassionally and while we aren't super close, she has always gone out of way to be accomodating when DH and I do see them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

My former gym trainer is getting married, I wasn't invited to the wedding but thought a card and some money would be nice.

My friends tell me that I shouldn't be giving him a gift since I wasn't invited to the wedding.

I just thought it would be nice, any thoughts?

@Just Bling Your call.  If you like him enough to spend money on him, that's o.k.  Why should it matter what your friends say?  Do you like him enough as a person?  Sometimes people don't get invites because they are trying to keep their guest list to a minimum.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I think it's a lovely idea!  A gift is something you give, with no strings attached.  It's given from your heart.

Yepper!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor
An open heart! A gift given without expectation from a loving heart is beyond measure.