Valued Contributor

Re: We're giving up on grocery delivery

@willdob3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I also use WalMart grocery pickup and I am very happy with it. So much so that I can’t think of any reason to ever set foot in the store again! 

You can edit and add to your order - they give a cut off time for that. I usually think of something to add! I get emails with my order, another when I add more, another if something is out of stock...and when I get home, I get a final receipt. Plus, the app stores all my orders in case I want to check or reorder.

They email you when your order is ready (mine has always been ready 10-15 minutes early) and you check I’m on their app when you are leaving. They track you and know when you have arrived so you don’t sit and wait very long. I pop the trunk and they load my groceries in. I never get out of the car and am heading home in a flash! 

I considered InstCart for a local grocery store when all this started but I didn’t want to pay for delivery and it just seemed like pickup would be a better option for me. 

I have been ordering pickup through Walmart since this all started and I have nothing but praise for them. They have done a great job, even when they have substituted items. They let you know what the substitutions are ahead of time and ask if you want them or not but I have been happy with everything they give me. Sometimes I've gotten double sizes of something because they were out of the smaller size I ask for and they still only charge me for the smaller sizes. This has happened on several items. I usually have to wait a day or two from the day of order to the day of pickup but by the time I head to the store, I know exactly what I've got waiting for me as they email with the list of substitutions, plus what they don't have. The one time I did an order pickup for Kroger, I had to wait 5 days, went to the store and only then found out they were out of about half my items ordered and they substituted nothing, even though I'd checked that substitutions were ok. It was an awful experience so I don't think I will use them again but will continue with Walmart for as long as needed. They've been great!

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have ordered 4 times ,from two different stores,no problems at all.

Me tooSmiley Happy  I love the service and if I have to be a bit flexible, I can be...

Honored Contributor

I didn't mind the one we used here the first two times.  Then they got so busy we had to use someone else.  I missed getting my own choices or my own subs.  But the last one, was a different store and brands not known to us.  They didn't have a good share of what we asked for, we ended up going to our own store to get the rest of what we needed.  So what was the use of someone else shopping for us?  I didn't care for it, but my husband loved the idea of it. LOL.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@suzyQ3    I'd say you could give shopping for yourself a try, especially if you're willling to go a bit early, during senior shopping time.  Where I live, it's 8-9 at Whole Foods, I think the same at Trader Joe's.  I am in and out of the store in 20 minutes or less.  We barely have any contact with each other. 

At Trader Joe's, the cashier even has you pull your receipt out  of the register, yourself!   They have done so much to make shopping safer.  Those carts have never been so clean!

I agree with you, if someone feels like they are able to do it.

I personally feel that it's worth getting up early for me to do it.

It does seem to make a difference as compared to going later in the day for us in our area.

Of course, this might also depend on where you live.

When we go early, there aren't as many people out yet and we are able to move around the supermarket more easily without any of us getting too close to each other. 

I'm not an early moring person by any means, and it's hard on me to do it with my health issues.

However, I personally feel like we probably all have to do what we have to do at this time, to make things work out for ourselves and our families. Smiley Happy

When we go early, I also feel as though it seems to be a bit easier to get what we're looking for concerning groceries, for the most part. 

The employees have been stocking the shelves and are still putting items out when we're there. 

We are also able to see what items are still missing from the shelves and counters, too.

Honored Contributor

Never had any trouble with Instacart at all.  The shopper is always in touch with me. And I OK any substituions or refunds.  

Honored Contributor

Oh for Pete's sake, just go to the grocery store yourself! Wear a mask and gloves and SHOP. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 

I agree. 

Doing my own shopping  is far less stress-inducing than the thought of  relying on someone else to choose the best-looking, freshest groceries or picking up an order from a restaurant without seeing the food.

As a confirmed control freak and picky shopper  I often  visit two or more grocery stores in the same hour just to find what I want and see all the options.

Never have been good at delegating authority or tasks of any kind, anyway, so I'm better off acting alone. 

Why invite potential aggravation, disappointment, or anger by counting too much on others to make my choices?

Honored Contributor

That's too bad.  I know grocery stores are crazy busy with online orders and out of a lot of things but you should get receipts as well as any pertinent information about your order.

A midwest grocery chain now offers free delivery to people over 60 or at risk.  Once they shop my order, I get an email identifying items out of stock and any price differences there may be for items that are per pound or substituted.  It's nice to see these so I know what to expect when my order arrives. This chain uses Door Dash.  I've never had a problem receiving my order on time.  

Honored Contributor

I'd stop too. Since I'm not a fussy shopper, I go with a list and only go down the aisles I need. My two week shopping spree had me in and out of the store in twenty minutes and cost $77.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine some stranger grocery shopping for me. There are name brands I wouldn't give up, yet bargain items I also would put in my cart. I don't want anybody buying my produce. My shopping and buying habits depend on what I'm in need of. No stranger knows this of me.

I fully understand the need if I'm a loner, cannot get out without the help from someone, if I no longer drive. If at all possible, if I could call upon someone to take me shopping all the better but I get it if this would not be possible as well. If I could call upon someone I really knew and they knew me and my buying ways and needs then maybe. If I could have the same person do my shopping, better yet. But as long as I am able, I do my own shopping.

I don't get why however, services like instacart or whoemever is doing my shopping, they NEED to be bringing my my checkout sales slip otherwise they'll be going back to the store for it, and/or they'll be taking the groceries back to the store. The shopper still needs to be with a cashier ringing up all what they bought so I'm at a loss as to why you're not seeing the sales slip with each and every item on it that are in the bags - checking off each item for price on the slip.