Honored Contributor

Re: We're giving up on grocery delivery

[ Edited ]

@sueinsf wrote:

I think it really depends on where you live.  I have never used Instacart but I know those that do.  I also know some who pickup at Target. 

In the last month, I've used Amazon Whole Foods and have had a very good experience.  One time, zero substitutions - everything I ordered.  Other times I've gotten some subs but they were mostly sizes - like I wanted a 16oz package of frozen strawberries and only 10oz organic was available (had I shopped myself, that would have been no different).  Those are no big deal. This last time I did decline a couple of subs and that is also your perogative. 

It's been pretty easy.  They notify me when the shopper starts, the shopper lets me know if there are any subs (I can accept or decline) and can also message them.  Twice I had a morning shopper and a 11am-1pm delivery time and got the deliveries at 11:30am.  All the produce was very good but that is probably because Whole Foods has good quality produce (maybe that wouldn't be the case everywhere).  I'm also able to get a lot of organic products. I get my receipt by email (it's also showing on my Amazon account).

A couple of times it did take me rechecking to get a delivery time (I didn't want 9p-11p), but I always got one in a reasonable amount of time (usually within a couple of days).

One interesting thing -- it's gotten me to try some new things!  One time I was planning on ordering frozen salmon but they were out so I went with arctic char, and it's delicious!!! 

I am thrilled to have this option and very pleased with the service.

Yes, it most definitely depends on where you live. I tried to shop Amazon Fresh weeks ago and was told they would alert me by email when I could shop. Well, I'm still waiting. I've used Peapod, and find it reasonably acceptable, as long as I'm willing to wait up at night so I can sign up to accept delivery dates about three weeks out as soon as an added date is made available, am willing to accept that I'll have no choice of delivery time other than morning or evening, am willing to accept I will probably never get everything I request, and am willing to regularly accept substitutions. The Safeway delivery site was so messed up I gave up trying... I also tried Instacart and, as stated above, never again... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I'm  perfectly happy with Instacart. No problems at all.  I get an itemized receipt too.  It's higher then Amazon Fresh, but I like the convenience.  I didn't go with Shpit becasue I didn't like the displayed stores for my area.  With Instacart, I get Wegmans, Aldi & Giant.  Wegman and Aldi are very big, so I'm able to more food in stock.  So I'm quite satisfied with Instacart.  Like Publix, Wegamans offers prepared food too and their own brand of paper towels (Yay!)   I only wish Publix would come in to my own state.  That would be terrific. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

I'm  perfectly happy with Instacart. No problems at all.  I get an itemized receipt too.  It's higher then Amazon Fresh, but I like the convenience.  I didn't go with Shpit becasue I didn't like the displayed stores for my area.  With Instacart, I get Wegmans, Aldi & Giant.  Wegman and Aldi are very big, so I'm able to more food in stock.  So I'm quite satisfied with Instacart.  Like Publix, Wegamans offers prepared food too and their own brand of paper towels (Yay!)   I only wish Publix would come in to my own state.  That would be terrific. 

As noted, it appears one's satisfaction with the grocery situation and the various delivery and pick-up services is largely, though not exclusively, a function of where you live and hence with how many others one is competing for both the products and the service. It appears those living in or near major cities are at a distinct disadvantage.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@songbird 

I am very happy with Instacart also.  It just takes some thinking ahead.  I have them shopping for me at a high end local market instead of a large chain - that may be why I am getting what I order.  I also use them at Costco for a few items.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

@songbird 

I am very happy with Instacart also.  It just takes some thinking ahead.  I have them shopping for me at a high end local market instead of a large chain - that may be why I am getting what I order.  I also use them at Costco for a few items.  

Wegmans is considered a high end supermarket.  They do carry gourmet foods, and hey are higher in price then your average supermarket.  Aldi is somewhat high also.  & Giants is slightly higher then your average food market. I do have Costco also.  One of my supermarket is kind of strange.  Have never sho[pped there called Harris Teeter.  I think it's owned by Kroger.  Another place I never shopped at.  Another new supermarket is Lidl.  But I haven't tried that one either

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update: On this order with Krogers (farmed out to Instacart), the final charge DID change for the better. This is the first time that that has happened.

So I think I will give them another try. I would so much prefer delivery right now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland