Respected Contributor

I would say it depends on the brands/quality of your watches.  I have a vintage Luminox that I only trust to one jeweler.  He went out of his way to find a new crystal for my watch and it took a few months - he noticed when he went to replace the battery that the mall service I used previously had not replaced/reattached the back correctly. 

I ended up having him remove all the batteries from all my watches after I asked/received an inexpensive, sporty looking Citizen Eco Drive for Christmas. Needs no battery. Love it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Watch batteries

[ Edited ]

I take mine to a local jewelry store, but that's out for you.  

Walmart's jewelry dept does replace batteries. 

They also sell the batteries. Could you change them yourself?  Videos on Youtube show how to do it.  It's quite easy.

Don't know if department store jewelry departments change batteries, but you could call to find out.  

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge uh-oh!!!!  You said the "A" word.  Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

We have a kiosk at our mall that puts in new batteries for $10.  Personally I wouldn't attempt it because some of them take special tools to take the back off.  I'd be afraid I'd ruin it.  I do have a kit to remove links. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information.........very usefulSmiley Happy.

Respected Contributor

The J.C. Penney store in our mall replaces watch batteries. I take my watch to the jewelry counter - either someone does it right away, or if they're busy, I leave it overnight.

Kohl's will also replace batteries, for watch brands they carry. 

I seem to remember that it cost $10 at either of those stores.

Valued Contributor

I heard recently that Walmart would only change batteries in the watches that they sold....a new policy. I can't say that this is true, but that is what I heard. 

Respected Contributor

@country gal wrote:

I heard recently that Walmart would only change batteries in the watches that they sold....a new policy. I can't say that this is true, but that is what I heard. 

Yes, Walwalt only changes batteries on the watches they sell. In my area, this is a policy that has been going on for some time.

Respected Contributor

I got so sick of doing that... Instead of replacing a bunch of watch batteries, get a solar or chrono watch that does not require ANY! I love my Citizen EcoDrive!  

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I got so sick of doing that... Instead of replacing a bunch of watch batteries, get a solar or chrono watch that does not require ANY! I love my Citizen EcoDrive!  

@Skyegirl21 Citizen Eco Drive for me also- love them.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?