Honored Contributor

Father charged after daughter kills a man & Dog driving SUV

This is very strange and sad.  A 12 year old was behind the wheel of a SUV.  Hits the accelerator instead of the break, killing the man and the dog.  The 12 year old's father is charged.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/18/us/houston-car-death-charges-trnd/index.html

Honored Contributor

Re: Father charged after daughter kills a man & Dog driving SUV

If EVERY parent was charged for the criminal acts of their minor child, I do believe our society would be a wee bit different than it is now.

I have no issue with this father being charged. My heart goes out to family that has lost a loved one due to irresponsible behavior.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

This is very strange and sad.  A 12 year old was behind the wheel of a SUV.  Hits the accelerator instead of the break, killing the man and the dog.  The 12 year old's father is charged.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/18/us/houston-car-death-charges-trnd/index.html

@songbird 

Very very sad....My heart goes out to the family that lost their father and also their pet dog....

Each state has laws that govern this. Most states will hold parents liable for their kids.  Parenting carries significant legal responsibilities. Most parental responsibility statutes punish parents for what they haven’t done, rather than what they have done. The laws make parents criminally liable because they have not fulfilled their parental duty to keep their kids from breaking the law. So, the parent of the juvenile is charged for failing to exercise proper parental control. Personally, Im glad to see that the parents are held responsible for the actions of their children....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

12 year old still needs to be watched and the parents are responsible for his actions.  It was most likely an accident... but so tragic. It will be interesting to see how this ends. I really doubt the Father will do time.... 

Respected Contributor

Parental responsibility laws hold parents responsible for negligent acts of children. There is usually a financial cap on how much the parent is responsible for personally.

The parents auto liability insurance should also cover this accident. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

12 year old still needs to be watched and the parents are responsible for his actions.  It was most likely an accident... but so tragic. It will be interesting to see how this ends. I really doubt the Father will do time.... 

@SeaMaiden 

In most jurisdictions with parental responsibility laws, a violation of the law is a misdemeanor and a person charged with the crime faces up to one year in prison, a fine in the range of $1,000, or both.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I'd like to know the entire story.

Trusted Contributor

Not enough information for me to come to a conclusion here. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

I don't believe a 12 year old is legally able to drive ... who let her get 

behind the wheel ....??

Esteemed Contributor

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A father has been charged with criminally negligent homicide and endangering a child after he allegedly let his 12-year-old daughter drive his car (emphasis added) that struck and killed a man and his dog.

Prosecutors say the father, Tomas Mejia, initially told investigators he was the one driving, but they soon learned it was actually his daughter behind the wheel.

The article from abc13.com says. "There was also a 2-year-old in the backseat."

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.