Honored Contributor

Re: Washing machine recommendations please!

[ Edited ]

I too vote for speed queen. got mine in october 015. it is a simple model, manual dial, lid does not lock, you can add clothes if wanted during wash cycle. 

Speed Queen is made in Wisconsin.

I do not own a Speed Queen dryer. Had to purchase my dryer asap (Lowes was whole lot closer than where I purchased my Speed Queen washer from). Got an LG dryer with manual steam mode.  LG dryers are rated as one of the better brands dryers. Dries most loads in 50 minutes on medium setting. Only time you get a high setting is taking it out of pre set times to manual dry mode.

I had GE, Whirlpool, Maytag washers all these within 6 yrs time frame all fell apart within a few months. they were broken down more than working.

Did some reading,checking,talking to people that is how I fell upon Speed Queen.  Speed Queen washers  is best on the market.

Trusted Contributor

If I could do it again, I would NEVER GET MY KENMORE ELITE, it does not wash the clothes clean.  You ask, how do I know??? My husband has a skin issue that creates a certain smell in his clothes and after washing the clothes, the clothes still had the faint smell.

I will be getting a Queen machine in the future, I can't do it right now, but I will be getting one.  The Kenmore Elite does not have the agitator, the clothes just sit and unless you put the machine on bedspread washing, the tub does not fill up with water, so it is a MESS.

I was limited to using a sears credit card and I did not research in advance.  Also I can't prove it but I wrote a review about the problem on the sears website and it posted then it was GONE.  So I put a shorter negative review and once again it was gone.  So don't always believe the "Great" reviews.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Sue98  Yes, you can still purchase central agitator washing machines.

We have a Whirlpool Duet HE washing machine (several years old now so I don't know if that model is still available) and we love it.

No problems. 

Everyone has their preference for the type of machine they own and you will see the plus and minus from everyone.

All I can tell you is that I like what I have.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Speed Queen manual toploader

Now, I started a thread on refrigerators....can anyone help me with that....please?

It's in the Kitchen forum.... Refrigerator recommendations.....Thanks to all who have been helpful already - It's so confusing!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks again to all of you for giving me your thoughts and opinions.  I'm afraid I will be having to bite the bullet in the next week or so.  You've given me lots of ideas!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a basic Maytag we bought in 1987.  Never a bit of trouble, washes well.  But I would like something a little more than this basic machine when I get a new one. I am intriqued by this speed queen you all rave about.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I need a dryer, as mine is 39 years old.  Whirlpool, made in the usa!  There again,very basic.  The things still keeps working.  We havent pushed the issue because the laundry room door in our 1965 home is so narrow, we had 1/2 inch wiggle room to get the thing in!!!!  And when we put the floor in 15 years ago, we never thought we would get it back in.  Awful. Appliances were smaller back in the day.  We will have to take off door jamb to get new appliances in

Respected Contributor

thats messed up that they take down reveiws that are not good.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder why the big box stores don't sell Speed Queen.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i hurd because speed queen last so long thats why alot of stores dont sell them. they would rather sell something that we replace and buy more often. until being on this blog i never hurd of sq. any store big or small i never seen them. someone had a 5 year old sq washer on craigs list the other day for 100 bucks it was gone the same day. it was from an ellderly woman that died and only did a load a week so it was a steal.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 13-or-so year Kenmore front loader, which I liked and which was kind to my clothes, died a horrible death last Spring.  A small area rug thrown in to clean a cat barf stain absolutely did it in.  The "tripod" separated.  I paid a repairman I know almost $200 to fix it though he warned me the fix would be temporary.  Then it did stop working.

I was busy at the time and shopped sales rather than consumer feedback, and I got on a Memorial Day sale an unpopular (I guess) Maytag, which I think has an impeller agitator, which works differently from the big central shaker (even though it does have a pillar in the center).  It's an energy star like my old Kenmore.

I like it, but it makes uncanny noises.  When loaded and pressed, it clicks.  (It is calculating its water supply.) Also, the detergent has to be put in before the laundry items.  It does a good job but takes a long time (I have it set, due to my allergies, to extra rinses).  It was marked down from over $530 to 399, and I feel I got a good deal.  Clothes are clean, and this one has a big capacity that I am appreciating after some 15 years of tiny loads.  I've only had it a few months, though.  But I like it and do not agree with the negative reviews I saw on Lowes' website.  Yet I am glad for them, as it got me a discount on a good machine.

A cycle does take a long time, and the lid does lock, but I am used to that from my front loader--plus there is a button to press if there is an unbalance, which unlocks it.  Too soon to say if this new kind of agitator is easier on clothes but so far it looks as if it is.

Edited to add:  My repairman told me this about front-loaders, after telling me that mine has lasted more than most do.  The "tripod" is a design flaw as it is held by a few screws that corrode and rust, which causes the whole unit to fail.  I may have misunderstood his comments, which were technical, but that was my takeaway.  So the front loaders don't last as long as top-loaders due to this design flaw, according to him.