Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Dumb question here: We have a ban on plastic bags here at check-out. I bring my own bags. But in the produce dept, they have plastic bags that are labeled with a 4 inside that recycling icon.

Does anyone else have those in their stores? If they're recyclable, why isn't the plastic that was used for packing also recyclable? Is it because they needed to be stronger and so that precluded recycling them?

The plastic bags at check-out are recyclable, and most grocery stores here in PA have barrels at the entrance for shoppers to return them for recycling.  The plastic bags in produce are the same type of plastic and can be recycled with the other, though I doubt many people do. 

The plastic check-out bags are being banned because (1) not enough people recycle them in the barrels at store entrances, and (2) they are wrongly deposited with single-stream recycling materials, and then proceed to gum-up mechanized sorting erquipment and (3) they find their way into nature where fish, birds, and other creatures get entangled in them or ingest them.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda   This was not about the bags.  I threw that in but it was not all about them lol

Respected Contributor

I bring my own bags when I go grocery shopping. All mine are insulated and you can stuff a lot into them. The plastic bags I do have I use as wastebasket liners, as long as they have no holes. Smiley LOL

As for my local Walmart, it's pretty clean. My issue is that the majority of the check outs are self-serve with just a few checkers working. It's great if you have a few things, but hardly anybody walks out of Walmart with just a handful of stuff so it can be a very long wait if you have a cart full. Lines are pretty much long there. The few times I do go there, I leave physically drained because of all the walking going from one end of the store to the other. The next closest Walmart is about a half hour away and it's even busier than my local one.

Most of my grocery shopping is done at Shoprite or Weis and I've also been going to Target more for everyday items. It may be a little more in price, but it's not as crowded and all their lines have people checking you out. It's also one of my mom's favorite stores, and with her mobility issues she needs someone to go with her when shopping now, so I end up there. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Tricolor wrote:

You need to report this to your store manager. If you don't get a satisfactory response go to the corporate office. I have several Walmart stores near me and they are kept very clean and tidy.  It won't be long before the stores will do away with plastic due to the damage being done to our marine life.

@Tricolor   It seems to me reporting a dirty store to its manager is like the fox guarding the henhouse.  Unless he has vision problems, he should already be aware his store is dirty but just doesn't care.  It should be reported to his manager.

Just thought it best to follow the chain of command no matter how useless it may turn out to be. That way corporate can be made aware that the store manager did not respond.

Honored Contributor

The issue is to ban plastic bags, period.

That includes the black trash bags which are harder to break down due to the dye.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who are so anti-Walmart but have no issue with Amazon or other big box stores.  Amazon is notorious for pricing games, bogus reviews and treating employees horribly yet day in and day out I see comments about how great Amazon is.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who are so anti-Walmart but have no issue with Amazon or other big box stores.  Amazon is notorious for pricing games, bogus reviews and treating employees horribly yet day in and day out I see comments about how great Amazon is.  

@Lipstickdiva  Bezos is totally ruining Whole Foods.

I shop very little on Amazon; sometimes it is the only place I can find a certain item.

The pricing games you mentioned among other things are just as bad, I agree.

Not to mention the problem with knock-offs. 

Unfortunately going to websites for many, many, vendors will link you right back to Amazon.  It's getting so you are getting boxed in (no pun intended) to Amazon, especially with b&m stores closing all around.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

IMO the shape your Walmart store is in is its managements fault.  If you are really concerned write to Walmart Corporate to voice your complaints.

I have started taking my own bags to the stores I cant stand those small plastic  stinky bags.

I don't know if it's what you are referring to but for a while all the stores around here went to scented bags.  People must have complained because I haven't noticed it lately.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Dumb question here: We have a ban on plastic bags here at check-out. I bring my own bags. But in the produce dept, they have plastic bags that are labeled with a 4 inside that recycling icon.

Does anyone else have those in their stores? If they're recyclable, why isn't the plastic that was used for packing also recyclable? Is it because they needed to be stronger and so that precluded recycling them?

@suzyQ3Not a dumb question but a very important one.

We select our produce by hand; we don't buy bagged fruits/veggies and certainly not bagged salads and such.  I was to see the underside of the products but most importantly it's less styrofoam, one of the worst.

If the plastic has the icon with a number, then it is recyclable.  Unfortunately I think people don't realize it and just toss with the regular trash.

People think of recylcing plastics as grocery bags, plastic containers such as laundry soap containers, etc.

The plastic packaging has good points in terms of keeping the produce more sanitary and those little packages of things like carrot sticks are appealing to kids for lunch boxes.

But the plastic also can also be a breeding ground for any produce already contaminated with e-coli or other nasty things while being transported.

It's a no-win situation.  The best one can do is decide if the higher price of bagged produce is worth it.

Also, I can see why meat is bagged in plastic because of the juice run off.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 5 Walmarts within 25 miles of my home, and have been to all of them.

Let me just say, I have a love/hate relationship with them.

However, each of those 5 stores is almost always "clean."   But, I get that having a dirty, unkempt store is a turnoff. 

I have seen customers doing things that contribute to the mess inside the store.  Then, of course, someone has to put things back and, very likely, they don't have sufficient staff to keep up.  It's a dilemma the store needs to keep up with, and some don't or cannot.

My main objection is often stock sitting around waiting to be put on the shelves.

I do go to other stores in my area, so the money gets spread around.

While I understand some mostly hate the place, I just cannot feel that way because....I find what I want at great prices.