Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear 

Our grocery store chain had the same issue....A bag tore and vinegar in a glass bottle broke in my car trunk from then on I now bring my own recyable bags....If I happen to be out and don't have my recyable bags I make them double bag everything!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Most Walmarts near me are dirty and half-stocked, with surly staff.  One, about 12 miles away, is nicer, but that's too far to drive to save a few dollars.  I see Walmart's commercials on TV and have to laugh:  the Walmart shopping experience is nothing like they show.  Needless to say, I rarely go there anymore.  Fortunately, we have plenty of other options.

@ValuSkr 

My closest Walmart is dirty with employees that are surly with shoppers and each other! I sent a complaint as did others but nothing's changed.  I think the problem is the Store Manager....I just shop other stores ....

Now to be fair I have been in Walmarts that are neat and clean and the employees were pleasant.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Likewise, @ValuSkr , I make a 25 mile round trip to go to a Wall Mart I prefer.

Draw a circle around any store (not just Wall Mart) and the population that lives within that circle is where the store will draw the majority of its staff and its customers.

If the store's dirty, half stocked, and staff are lacking common manners (no longer taught at home), I figure two options.

One, that reflects the standards expected by the store manager.

Or two, the pool of job applicants yields nothing better to choose from.

Number two puts management in the position of constantly hiring, training, disciplining, and terminating, without all that termoil leading to overall improvement.

When that condition sets in, lower standards are tolerated until they become intolerable, and the store shuts down.

@x Hedge 

My dirty Walmart and rude employees don't match your theory because this store is located in a nice part of town with upscale apartments, homes, shopping centers and office buildings.....But I'll agree perhaps it's the Manager and his hiring practices....and employees don't put in much effort nor care about their job

Honored Contributor

I go to a Walmart that is smaller with a complete food area and is very well stocked and clean.  This store is built on the site of a former, older Walmart that was torn down and a supercenter built two miles away.  The 4 retirement communities that surround this property were "up in arms" when their store was leveled and the present structure is much more tame than the large ones!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The closest Walmart to us is a dump too,We live in the country so Its 30 minutes away near the closest city.. I was in years ago but people tell me now how it got worse. My husband and I wont set one foot in ANY Walmart, I don't care how cheap the stuff is! Because of the way they treat their employees while they hoard money for themselves My daughters Walmart is in a nice area and she doesn't even go to that one because she says that's a dump now too. She goes to one way above her in another area where mostly Mennonites shop at that Walmart. And she said that one is nice. Well anwyay, I don't care if they're nice or not wont shop there! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I am retired and have a wonderful clean walmart the cashiers at this mid day are around my age guess trying to get more money with their soc sec. so nice. I have been to walmarts near me  and a horrible mess never go to that store. I understand what you say but this one walmart is so nice. Miid week saw people around 60yrsold  stocking up the isles  These people work hard told Dh thank God you have a pension and soc sec. we are blessed. . 

Contributor

I live in Honolulu, HI and we have to pay 15 cents for each bag we get at a check-out stand. Even if it is a small bag. The bags at Walmart are made of a high quality thick plastic and are reusable. I have several of them and reuse them at Walmart and other stores. I can probably use each bag 50 or more times. They never seem to get holes in them or fall apart. Before we had to pay for the bags, Walmart in Honolulu also had the cheap thin bags. Target does not provide any bags at all so I use my Walmart bags there.

I love shopping at Walmart because prices are high in Hawaii and Walmart has much, much lower prices. For example, I can buy a can of beans at Walmart for around 89 cents while the same type of beans at a grocery store would be in the $2 range. I can save 50 cents to $2 on manyy items like that. The store is not dirty.

Trusted Contributor

Where I live, town by town the plastic bags are becoming illegal. They're working on straws and takeout containers, too.

It's a start.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Dumb question here: We have a ban on plastic bags here at check-out. I bring my own bags. But in the produce dept, they have plastic bags that are labeled with a 4 inside that recycling icon.

Does anyone else have those in their stores? If they're recyclable, why isn't the plastic that was used for packing also recyclable? Is it because they needed to be stronger and so that precluded recycling them?

@suzyQ3Not a dumb question but a very important one.

We select our produce by hand; we don't buy bagged fruits/veggies and certainly not bagged salads and such.  I was to see the underside of the products but most importantly it's less styrofoam, one of the worst.

If the plastic has the icon with a number, then it is recyclable.  Unfortunately I think people don't realize it and just toss with the regular trash.

People think of recylcing plastics as grocery bags, plastic containers such as laundry soap containers, etc.

The plastic packaging has good points in terms of keeping the produce more sanitary and those little packages of things like carrot sticks are appealing to kids for lunch boxes.

But the plastic also can also be a breeding ground for any produce already contaminated with e-coli or other nasty things while being transported.

It's a no-win situation.  The best one can do is decide if the higher price of bagged produce is worth it.

Also, I can see why meat is bagged in plastic because of the juice run off.

@Cakers3, sorry that I didn't see your reply earlier. Just to be clear, the majority of my produce purcases are loose, not pre-packaged or bagged, although the latter seems to becoming more prominent in my supermarket.

The bags that I was referring to are those that you pull down to put your loose produce in. They are marked as recyclable, so I wondered why the ones no banned at checkout for carrying can't be as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Dumb question here: We have a ban on plastic bags here at check-out. I bring my own bags. But in the produce dept, they have plastic bags that are labeled with a 4 inside that recycling icon.

Does anyone else have those in their stores? If they're recyclable, why isn't the plastic that was used for packing also recyclable? Is it because they needed to be stronger and so that precluded recycling them?

@suzyQ3Not a dumb question but a very important one.

We select our produce by hand; we don't buy bagged fruits/veggies and certainly not bagged salads and such.  I was to see the underside of the products but most importantly it's less styrofoam, one of the worst.

If the plastic has the icon with a number, then it is recyclable.  Unfortunately I think people don't realize it and just toss with the regular trash.

People think of recylcing plastics as grocery bags, plastic containers such as laundry soap containers, etc.

The plastic packaging has good points in terms of keeping the produce more sanitary and those little packages of things like carrot sticks are appealing to kids for lunch boxes.

But the plastic also can also be a breeding ground for any produce already contaminated with e-coli or other nasty things while being transported.

It's a no-win situation.  The best one can do is decide if the higher price of bagged produce is worth it.

Also, I can see why meat is bagged in plastic because of the juice run off.

@Cakers3, sorry that I didn't see your reply earlier. Just to be clear, the majority of my produce purcases are loose, not pre-packaged or bagged, although the latter seems to becoming more prominent in my supermarket.

The bags that I was referring to are those that you pull down to put your loose produce in. They are marked as recyclable, so I wondered why the ones no banned at checkout for carrying can't be as well.

@suzyQ3   Ahh ok.  I see the ones you mean.  Good question and it would seem that they will also be banned eventually.  I think it will take longer, though, because it is easier for people to bag produce in terms of check out-weighing is faster, imo.

It would be hard to buy loose and not bag, something like mushrooms, although those should go into a paper bag anyway.

There are produce bags one can buy for shopping instead of using the pull down bags.

Maybe those need to be advertised more?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh