Respected Contributor

A second Walmart has started using robots to pick online grocery orders. The first store, in Salem, NH, was the prototype and has been successful for three years.

Walmart says the bots can pick 10 times faster than humans. When an order is complete, the botcart rolls itself to an area where an employee checks the contents and bags them.

Does it squeeze the tomatoes and check sell-by dates? 

At least it won't be texting while working.

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

A second Walmart has started using robots to pick online grocery orders. The first store, in Salem, NH, was the prototype and has been successful for three years.

Walmart says the bots can pick 10 times faster than humans. When an order is complete, the botcart rolls itself to an area where an employee checks the contents and bags them.

Does it squeeze the tomatoes and check sell-by dates? 

At least it won't be texting while working.

I am assuming sell-by dates are built into the barcode.

Esteemed Contributor

For me, the last few years have taught me what a waste of time it is to walk through a grocery.  How many hours of our life have we spent there?

All for a more efficient system of selection and delivering.  No more lines.  Dreaming of a drive up lane like a toll booth. 

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

For me, the last few years have taught me what a waste of time it is to walk through a grocery.  How many hours of our life have we spent there?

All for a more efficient system of selection and delivering.  No more lines.  Dreaming of a drive up lane like a toll booth. 

As much as I like shopping, grocery shopping wasn't "on the list." 

I hated every minute of it, so grocery delivery is a dream come true to me! 

So, bring on all of the latest innovations!

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining   Your tollbooth idea may be coming. I read that the McDonald's app, in an effort to have online orders hot and crispy, now tracks a customer's location. The order is prepared when the customer is one minute away.  

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Still Raining   Your tollbooth idea may be coming. I read that the McDonald's app, in an effort to have online orders hot and crispy, now tracks a customer's location. The order is prepared when the customer is one minute away.  

Now that scares me in so many ways 😵‍💫

Esteemed Contributor

There is a viral video of a bot picking orders at a trade show. It crashed to the floor, overwhelmed by it's workload after 12 hrs of picking orders at this show. No one knew how to revive it. 😄

It seems bots and AI are stll reliant on human programming. Garbage in, garbage out. 

My closest Mickey D's has gone to kiosk ordering in the early am hours. You need a card or their app to pay. You are encouraged to order full meals, single items are a search and find. The drive thru is still attended and accepts cash.

Some toll road booths are now unattended. If your cash or cc is rejected for payment, you sit. No attendant to call. 

Respected Contributor

I don't like so many places demanding you use an app to order or purchase their things or get a discount. Some are a real pain to use. Not everyone has a smartphone or the resources to buy one; those people have to pay more. Not fair. The app ordering just makes it easier for the employees. AI is also just eliminating prospective jobs. Technology is a slippery slope. 

Respected Contributor

Grocery stores are only giving digital coupons.  i don't want another app on my phone. i don't want to sign up for more loyalty cards.

off topic - my personal info was hacked as part of a security breach. my health insurance company used a third party to provide meals after my last surgery almost 2 yrs ago. that 3rd party was hacked and my and others personal data compromised.

now my Ins co. requires another 3rd party benefits card be used to get the discounts for eyeglasses and other ins bennies. no thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walmart Tech

[ Edited ]

@jackiejenny Delivery is a dream...........no more (items) off shelf - to cart - to checkout lane...........(items) out of cart to belt...............

bags  ..... in cart to parking lot ....car trunk ,,,,,drive home  (items in bags) out of car to kitchen....................

and you know the rest..       Meat not included in my delivery....just basics eggs, milk, etc