Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have a walk in shower off my summer kitchen. My husband and I  don't use it, but my son does when he visits and he likes it. It's a molded shower stall with all the accutrements and I just put up a shower curtain on a tension rod.

I don't think your shower is exactly what the OP is referring to. I'm assuming she'd talking about one that has no door or curtain and is big in its size.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

We moved into a condo this past summer with 2 bathrooms.  One of the selling points for me was that 1 bathroom had a walk in shower.  Big, big plus!  We are in our 60s, never take baths and feel a shower is safer and more convenient.  Ours has glass doors.  I would have preferred just a shower curtain but I'm happy.  It replaced a bathtub so it's the same size as a tub.  Turn on the water before getting in.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 .. we have two bathrooms in our house. One has both a walk in shower and a tub.  The second one has just a walk in shower.  They are both a bit smaller than a tub and both have glass doors.  Love them!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Walk In Shower

[ Edited ]

We gutted our master bathroom last year and turned our large jetted tub, which we never used, into a HUGE shower. It has a fixed shower head on one wall and on the other side there is a second shower head that can be hand held or adjusted in height.  We also have a corner seat .  One side is completely glass that wraps around one corner and that wall is about 1/3 glass and the balance tile.  The door opens in or out.  There is also a rectangle opaque window in the shower and a light above the shower on a separate switch.  My contractor suggested that we put the shower light on the same switch as the bathroom fan.  Smart.  LOVE LOVE LOVE this shower.   I get in, turn on the shower,  which has a separate knob for the temp,  so it's always set to the temp that we like. The floor is a sheet of  natural stones and feels great and looks amazing.

Super Contributor

When I purchased my home, I converted one bathroom to a walk in shower.  LOVE it!!  As I get older I won't have to worry about stepping into/out of a bathtub.

Here is before and after

Hall Bath 1 BEFORE.jpg

Hall Bath 2 AFTER.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

We moved into a condo this past summer with 2 bathrooms.  One of the selling points for me was that 1 bathroom had a walk in shower.  Big, big plus!  We are in our 60s, never take baths and feel a shower is safer and more convenient.  Ours has glass doors.  I would have preferred just a shower curtain but I'm happy.  It replaced a bathtub so it's the same size as a tub.  Turn on the water before getting in.

------------------------

My walk in shower had glass doors but I had them taken out!!  What a pain to clean.  Now use a shower curtain...either wash it in the machine or get a new one!!

I  hate baths in tub...can't remember when I took the last bath in a tub!!  Never liked the idea of getting clean in a tub of "used" water...   Always worried that someone - me - would fall getting out of the tub!!

Super Contributor
That looks exactly like my bathroom other than I have a window in the shower. My idea, is to cut off about 1/4 at the end to put shelves/drawers going to the outside. I was also thinking there wouldn't be a thing to step over to get in. You think that's possible?
Super Contributor

@funinthesun wrote:
That looks exactly like my bathroom other than I have a window in the shower. My idea, is to cut off about 1/4 at the end to put shelves/drawers going to the outside. I was also thinking there wouldn't be a thing to step over to get in. You think that's possible?

Yes, it's possible to NOT have a step into the shower like the photo.  It can only be done if you decide to use individual tiles as the flooring.  Before tiles are put on, your installer will have to downslope the entire shower area so that the water runs towards the drain.  My shower floor (as shown in above photo) has been downsloped because I had the drain moved closer to the center.  Gravity of downslope sends water automaticaly to the drain.

Without a ledge to step over, your downslope will be more than mine but you really will not notice it if done correctly. 

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I don’t know, but I think a true walk in has no sill at all, and is flat with the floor.  It uses an in-line drain, which is a flat floor drain along with sloped floor.  It can have curtains, or glass or nothing.

I have one of these in the MB, and 2 showers with very low sills in other baths.

We built the no sill shower in case one of us needs to use a wheelchair we could roll right in.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walk In Shower

[ Edited ]

My in-laws had an open shower which had tile even with their wood floor of their master bedroom. It was lovely and water never reached the wood flooring. Like you, they had it built in the event either of them needed a wheelchair. It was the size of a large bathtub with a seat in the corner if I remember correctly. They didn't need a shower curtain or glass doors either. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.