Honored Contributor

The threads on what we eat at Thanksgiving got me thinking. I grew up hating cranberry sauce in any form, or cranberry-flavored anything. Maybe 10 years ago, for some reason, I had some cranberry sauce tasted at a family gathering and now, I can’t contemplate a turkey dinner without it. I put it on everything - the turkey, the potatoes, the stuffing-dressing 😜, you name it. I even use it for chip dip.

I have noticed that I am favoring more sweet/sour than I used to. I could probably even eat marmalade, which I also used to detest. I will always love sweet things, but what kind of sweet and how much is changing - things I used to never be able get enough of, now I do, and enough is really enough.

Most kids hate avocado; I did. But my adult taste buds love it and it’s something else I’d have on everything if I could. 

What foods/drink did you hate as a child that you like or even love now?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Peanut butter always made me gag as a kid.  Recently I was on a restrictive diet for a thyroid procedure, and, out of desperation, I decided to try Adams natural creamy peanut butter (the kind that needs to be stirred) on slices of honeycrisp apples.  OMG...soooo good.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Peanut butter always made me gag as a kid.  Recently I was on a restrictive diet for a thyroid procedure, and, out of desperation, I decided to try Adams natural creamy peanut butter (the kind that needs to be stirred) on slices of honeycrisp apples.  OMG...soooo good.  

Peanut butter & apples are so good together! 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I hated carrots and never even had brussel sprouts as a kid. Love them both now.

Still am a picky eater. I just enjoy my hot sauce on much of my boring food. 

Honored Contributor

I have broad taste in food, pun intended. :-) My mother was the cook in the family, and she was rather adventurous, at least compared to my friends' fare.

But oh, did I hate eggplant because of the way she prepared it. It was always dipped in bread crumbs and fried. All I remember is that the breading scratched my throat, so I didn't like eggplant. I love it now -- Italian, Asian, any preparation except the scratchy one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I hated asparagus, turnips, sweet potatoes and we didn't have avocados around back then but I would have never eaten anything so green....today, I love all the above and if I were on a deserted island with one food, it would be avocado..

Respected Contributor

I'm another cranberry convert. I started with Craisins and have been working my way up to cranberry sauces and relishes. This has also occurred over the past 5 years or so.

I wouldn't touch a tomato when I was a kid and my dad grew very good ones. I like them now...mostly raw and in sauces. I still can't abide stewed. 

Same with cantaloupe.  Wouldn't touch even good home grown ones as a kid. Love them now

Respected Contributor

As a kid, I couldn’t stand the smell or the taste of Parmesan cheese.  Now love it and couldn’t eat pasta without it 

Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

As a kid, I couldn’t stand the smell or the taste of Parmesan cheese.  Now love it and couldn’t eat pasta without it 

@Bri36

It still smells like dirty feet!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I used to be a typical chocoholic but now would not miss never having chocolate again.  Can't stand dark chocolate and don't have nearly the taste for sweets I used to have.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment