Respected Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

I am in a new apartment complex & there is a walk in shower & I LOVE it, never had one before.  It is the size I would say of a tub, has a seat on end opposite of shower head, shelves on 3 sides, which I LOVE to hold products (holds a lot). No glass door, just a curved shower rod & we put a curtain & liner on it.  Had the glass doors before, this is easier to keep clean, no tracks that never get clean or glass that gets etched.  We are looking for a house & would definetly put one in.  I just turn on the water & feel with my hand until temp feels good & walk in by the shower side.  The shower head is too far up to move it as I am 5'1

@AnnMarie-1  I have something similar but ours here all have the frameless doors with no tracks.   I find that if I use a $4 squeegee I bought from Walmart they don't get spotty.  Someone told me that there is a product made by Rain-X (the ppl that make the stuff you spray on your car windshield to get that sheeting effect so water repels) and you can spray on the shower doors and they don't need cleaning or the product reapplied very often.  I thought I'd check that out and read the reviews to see if ppl think it works well.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I don’t know, but I think a true walk in has no sill at all, and is flat with the floor.  It uses an in-line drain, which is a flat floor drain along with sloped floor.  It can have curtains, or glass or nothing.

I have one of these in the MB, and 2 showers with very low sills in other baths.

We built the no sill shower in case one of us needs to use a wheelchair we could roll right in.

That's what I always thought.  My sister was an amputee and when they re-did the bathroom for her, they sloped the floor and didn't put a sill in.  She could roll her wheel chair in and scoot herself over onto the shower chair.

Respected Contributor

I hate reading about wheelchairs/amputees etc. in a thread that talked about a shower. My greatest fear in life is becoming immobile or losing my independence. I cannot manage thinking of this.

Honored Contributor

I don't have one but I wish I did when I had hip surgery because you can't pick up your legs high.   Anyway, IMO they are a good thing to have in your home.  I think they are really nice when you can get a seat put in them. Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

We had 2 townhomes that had walk-in showers, one a bit bigger than the other. Both homes also included a tub/shower combo. Also have used a huge number of hospital showers. The reason they leaked is because I was usually not able to function at 100% due to an IV, or other type of hindrance. They also had curtains, our home showers had glass doors, no leaks.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@funinthesun@Financialgrl, et al I am going to post a photo of the Karcher window cleaner that I use for all my windows (and I have a lot of large windows).  I also use this on shower doors and it does a great job.  I wipe down the windows/doors and then vac up the water with this small tool. No streaks.  I just love it.  Recommended to me by a friend after I admired her clean windows.  LM

786FA34D-5288-44BC-8CD1-E67D2D84175A.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I have a walkin shower.  I have had them in many homes we've had.  They don't leak.  Two sides are glass and two sides are tile.

Super Contributor

funinthesun, are you from another country? Possibly a 3rd world country? If not, how can     

you not know what a walk in shower is all about? Google it and you will find lots of information. 

Respected Contributor

Many people are only familiar with a bathtub.

i was once told by a realtor to always have a bathtub in a home because that's what buyers want. But I went against the grain and got rid of the tub in favor of a walk in shower with a frameless shower door. I figure I will be here 20 years. If the next buyer wants a tub let them put it in.  Don't take baths. Haven't since a child. Had the contractor install a shower bench instead. If I become disabled or injured the bench will come in handy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walk In Shower

[ Edited ]

I have a walk in shower, and mine is very small because of when the house was built. They have a different code now for walk ins. It's in a tiny bathroom connected to the master bedroom. I like that it's small. If I ever fainted in the shower, I would just fall against the wall and slide down it. LOL. I have a dial that regulates the water temp, just like the one in my tub. I have no cartilage in one knee, so a walk in is much preferrable to a tub shower. Mine has a glass door trimmed in chrome with a rubber gasket to keep water in the shower.