Super Contributor
Who has a walk in shower? Do you like it? Does it run the same size as if you had a bathtub or can you go smaller without leaking? And last question, how do you turn the water on to heat up before you get in?
Honored Contributor

@funinthesun wrote:
Who has a walk in shower? Do you like it? Does it run the same size as if you had a bathtub or can you go smaller without leaking? And last question, how do you turn the water on to heat up before you get in?

i have two walk in showers. one is LARGER than a bathtub space and has a tiled bench to sit down on and two shower heads.

one is more square and probably a bit smaller than a bathtub space.

have not had any leaking with either of them. they both have glass shower doors.

to turn on the water i just reach in or step in and turn the water on to let it heat up a bit. the shower head can be shifted to avoid getting drenched while doing that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Re: Walk In Shower

[ Edited ]

I am in a new apartment complex & there is a walk in shower & I LOVE it, never had one before.  It is the size I would say of a tub, has a seat on end opposite of shower head, shelves on 3 sides, which I LOVE to hold products (holds a lot). No glass door, just a curved shower rod & we put a curtain & liner on it.  Had the glass doors before, this is easier to keep clean, no tracks that never get clean or glass that gets etched.  We are looking for a house & would definetly put one in.  I just turn on the water & feel with my hand until temp feels good & walk in by the shower side.  The shower head is too far up to move it as I am 5'1

Super Contributor
The ones I have seen on Pinterest don't have doors. So I'm not sure how it keeps water out. I seriously have a small bathroom
Honored Contributor

I have a walk in shower off my summer kitchen. My husband and I  don't use it, but my son does when he visits and he likes it. It's a molded shower stall with all the accutrements and I just put up a shower curtain on a tension rod.

Esteemed Contributor

In our new house the master bedroom walk in shower has the controls on the outside. You can turn it on before getting in. Mine is a walk in also but just a fiberglass shower.

Esteemed Contributor

My parents shower in the master does not have a door or curtain. It's the way it is built. You have to walk in then turn the corner. So water does not get out. My sisters is the same way. They even have a tv in the corner of the shower. Lol.  Mine will have a curtain because it is just a fiberglass shower. Mine is 3.5 x 5.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two walk-in showers.  The one in the master BR has two sliding glass doors and is very big.    I turn it on, get undressed and the water is just right by that time.  We also have security handles (bars) like they have in hospital bathrooms.  One of our boys installed them for me - just in case.   It's something to think about.  It took him probably five minutes to drill through the tile and install them.  He got them at Home Depot......

Honored Contributor

The master bath has a walk in shower.  It's a little smaller than a tub.  It has a door.  I reach in turn it on and wait a minute or two.  No water leaks out.

My mother has a walk in that's the size of a tub.  There is no door, just a curtain.  The shower curtain has weights, so it keeps it in place.  My mother uses a mat outside the shower.  If a little water drips out, the mat absorbs it.  

Trusted Contributor

Yes. Ours is the size of a large tub. About 6 feet with a full size bench. We love it. Ours is tile with glass doors.