Esteemed Contributor

Walgreens aquiring Rite Aid

[ Edited ]

Had heard that Rite Aid stores were aquired by Walgreens . For atleast 5 yrs  I've purchased small nail clippers for a womens group to put in Christmas stockings  along with many other  personal items that are given as charity to the less fortunate .  I went to one store that  already converted to Walgreens  and the small mnail clippers were $2.59  each. Then I went to a store that still had the Rite Aid sign and the small nail clippers  with the old Rite Aid  label was $1.49 . I did not buy from either store  as last yr when I bought the same  small nail clippers  from Rite Aid, the clippers were 99 cents each  and with my Rite Aid points the price was reduced to 79 censts each .

I was shocked by such a lrg price increase  to $1.49 & $2.59 for the same small nail clippers . I went to Dollar Tree and bought similiar small clippers  for $1 that included mini  emory boards.  Guess , this is what aquisitions look like to us customers - higher prices !

Trusted Contributor

Re: Walgreens aquiring Rite Aid

Our Rite Aid has been gone for a long time. I really wish Woolworths were still around. You could probably get nail clippers for 25 cents .

Valued Contributor

@skatting44  Yep, it happened in my town too. The Walgreens and Rite Aid were directly across the street from each other, with Rite Aid having the easier location to access due to traffic. Rite Aid also always had better pricing AND a nice variety of unusual products in addtion to the drug store norm. 

I miss that Rite Aid at the holidays something fierce! Found so many good stocking stuffers there. 

I am not a Walgreens fan Cat Indifferent

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

Old news.  Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I was thinking the same thing when Walgreen's takes over prices will increase. I have shopped at Rite Aid for years and always scored some great deals on my vitamins. I hope the Rite Aid employees get to keep their jobs.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Old news.  Smiley LOL

Woman LOL New to me @Mz iMac  I must have missed this one in the news.

Valued Contributor

@GAQShopr53  Two of the Rite Aid workers did end up at Walgreens; one I really like, one....ehhh....

My favorite pharmacist showed up at CVS though! Smiley Very Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53  The deal closed 2017.  Rite Aid closings &/or intergrated into Walgreens was completed 2018.

That being said........

In my town, there are 2 open Rite Aids because they are in a part of town that is far from Walgreens.  All of Walgreens products are in those 2 stores including Walgreen Pharmacy. Smiley LOL

Rite Aid stores are still in certain pockets of Philly.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@GAQShopr53  The deal closed 2017.  Rite Aid closings &/or intergrated into Walgreens was completed 2018.

That being said........

In my town, there are 2 open Rite Aids because they are in a part of town that is far from Walgreens.  All of Walgreens products are in those 2 stores including Walgreen Pharmacy. Smiley LOL

Rite Aid stores are still in certain pockets of Philly.

Awww that makes sense now @Mz iMac . I saw a Rite Aid last month but it was in a rural town and that's why I was surprised to hear about the acquisition. Thanks for bringing me up to speed!

Honored Contributor

Federal regulators did not allow the deal to go through due to the possibility of a monopoly.

Rite Aid was permitted to sell less than half of its stores to Walgreens.  Rite Aid is still in business.  The one near me is doing very well.