Honored Contributor

Re: Walgreens aquiring Rite Aid

@Mz iMac wrote:

Old news.  Smiley LOL

yes, our rite aids have been closed for about a year or so now and have been rebranded as walgreens or have shut down.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the city I live in we have two Rite-Aid and three Walgreens.  I thought I heard Wallgreens was closing stores?

Esteemed Contributor

Mine has switche over to Wallgreens  too. I do Not like it at all.

I'm sure some of you read my post last Oct about being refused a flu shot  there (I got a lot of nasty accusing flack about it here .lol) 

I have been getting my flue shot there in RiteAid  for over 25 yrs. No reason given except I was not in their  (Walgreens)computer .......huh????  Well put me in it!!..........

Actually i was better off going to my regular  family drug store,  where  I really should have been going to  in the first place all those years.

I only went to 

Rite Aid ( now Wallgreens)  all those yrs cause I can walk there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's unfortunate to see another chain diminished, as almost all the former Rite Aid stores in my area have converted. They both carried some unique items, and the ability to make a choice where to shop will be missed. Even when there was more competition, though, I found the prices varied widely on a number of items and for some things Walgreen's was cheaper while for other items RIte Aide was less expensive. The downside to less competition, aside from narrowing variety, is it makes it far easier to raise prices across the board. All things being equal, I preferred Rite Aid for some things and Walgreen's for some things, but now I have fewer choices and less variety, which seems to be the way things are unfolding all over across the board.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I have Walgreens and Rite Aid the same distance away from me.  I live in a fairly large town.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44.  Since your nail clippers are made of steel, the may have been affected by tariffs on steel.  Tariffs have affected thousands of products.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Mine has switche over to Wallgreens  too. I do Not like it at all.

I'm sure some of you read my post last Oct about being refused a flu shot  there (I got a lot of nasty accusing flack about it here .lol) 

I have been getting my flue shot there in RiteAid  for over 25 yrs. No reason given except I was not in their  (Walgreens)computer .......huh????  Well put me in it!!..........

Actually i was better off going to my regular  family drug store,  where  I really should have been going to  in the first place all those years.

I only went to 

Rite Aid ( now Wallgreens)  all those yrs cause I can walk there.

I asked abt my left over Rite Aid points.  Walgreens   said all I had to do was enter my phone #   at the register terminal  . My Husband bought a candy bar   and he said our # was  in the Walgreens system .

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@GAQShopr53  The deal closed 2017.  Rite Aid closings &/or intergrated into Walgreens was completed 2018.

That being said........

In my town, there are 2 open Rite Aids because they are in a part of town that is far from Walgreens.  All of Walgreens products are in those 2 stores including Walgreen Pharmacy. Smiley LOL

Rite Aid stores are still in certain pockets of Philly.

Thanks for the historical  ., I understand this is old news from 2017   regarding the acquisition  and that slowly  stores are being revamped with new signs and new Walgreens merchandise . However my point was the price of the very  small nail clippers  . that increaed 50 cents each for the old ones with the Rite aid label or the new same  sized Walgreens one for $2.59 cents  as compared to the  $1 each from Dollar Tree .  With that being said, I'm going to  buy another 60 nail clippers  at Dollar Tree in preparation for next yr 's  charity christmas stockings .

Honored Contributor

We've never had Rite-Aid, just either Walgreen's or CVS on alternate corners.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Federal regulators did not allow the deal to go through due to the possibility of a monopoly.

Rite Aid was permitted to sell less than half of its stores to Walgreens.  Rite Aid is still in business.  The one near me is doing very well.  

My Rite Aid is still here, but the pharmacy in it is now Walgreens. Figure that out? All the same as it was before as far as I know.