Honored Contributor

CVS bought the pharmacy end of Target. Not the whole Target store just going to run their pharmacy.

Trusted Contributor

I have one Rite aid in my area and had to go in there in a pinch. Overpriced, not well stocked, poor choices. Walgreens is everywhere and they seem to be updating their older stores, 

They are convenient, email me when my prescriptions need filling, text me when they are ready, have discounts on senior days, their own store brand is comparable to name brands that I have tried, their beauty counter is well stocked and the CS reps always look in their own box of coupons to see if they have any for the item(s) I am purchasing, accumulate points (just used 5000 for $5 off on a Fit for Me makeup I wanted to try so the price was like under $3) and they have told me every time I purchase if the color is wrong, bring it back for a refund.

What's not to like? and 2 of them near me are open 24 hours if I need something late at night. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Valued Contributor

Re: Walgreens Buys Rite Aid

[ Edited ]

This will be a plus for me because Walgreen's is a preferred pharmacy for my Part D prescription plan.  I use a mail away pharmacy for my "long term" prescriptions but there are some prescriptions that need to be filled on a quicker basis and for that I use Rite Aid which is not only closer to home but has been my pharmacy for years.  They are definitely more expensive but I pay the extra dollar or so to not have to drive to Walgreen's.  Fingers crossed Walgreen's keeps the Rite Aid location...

Maria

Trusted Contributor

There are no Rite-Aids near me & I rarely shop at Walgreens because they're too pricey.

Respected Contributor

I miss the old corner Rexall drugstores.  I'm always worried about not enough competition in the drugstore industry to keep the prices lower.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Walgreens is the closest pharmacy to my house so I am in there quite often.  There are plenty of times when I need something quick and they are my go to.  I have a Walmat near me but their pharmacy isn't open 24 hours and I don't want to trek through the entire store and deal with the checkouts for a bottle of Advil or something along those lines.

Walgreens is expensive for the most part but I look at the ads every Sunday and have gotten some good deal on things plus I have their rewards cards.

I haven't been in a Rite Aid in years. They just aren't convenient for me and they are really, really expensive. 

Honored Contributor

We have both.  I can't buy drugs at Walgreen because our drug perscription card can't be used there.  There used everywhere but Walgreens.  I use both stores.  Mostly makeup.  Rite Aid has a lot of stuff, but overpriced.  We'll see.  I wonder what name they will use?

Honored Contributor

Usually if not most times-- the buyer takes over the store name. Rarely does it combine it with the loser/seller.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Walgreens can be quite pricey for prescription drugs.  Not happy to see less competition. 

Honored Contributor

The other day my daughter came down with a bad infection shortly after having a wisdom tooth pulled.

Her dentist had given her a "just-in-case" prescription for antibiotics. Where she usually gets prescriptions filled was almost a half hour drive and she was sick and had a fever of 100 already, instead her dad took her to Wallgreens and she got it right away.

We like our neighborhood Walgreens, it's like an old fashioned drug store, the pharmacist is always available to consult and advise, even without getting your prescriptions there. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices