Respected Contributor

Just heard that the Walgreens drugstore chain has bought out Rite Aid.  We have both in our area; I wonder if they will be closing stores.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Judging by our local Rite Aid stores and the Walgreens we have, this will be a huge improvement. Our Rite Aids are gross and Walgreens are nice & clean.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Judging from my living area, there is 1 - Rite Aid and 4 - Walgreens within a 3 mile area.  It is like every 4 blocks there is a Walgreens on the corner.

Honored Contributor

We have both too, about a block from each other, both very overpriced. IMO

Trusted Contributor

I never physically shop in drug stores...I only shop on line.

Respected Contributor

Walgreens bought out Rite Aid here some time ago (only the city stores) but CVS has been springing up all over, so at least we have two competitive chains.

Respected Contributor

Re: Walgreens Buys Rite Aid

[ Edited ]

I had a feeling that would happen. In my town within 4 corners of one intersection, we have Walgreens, Rite Aide, two grocery store pharmacies and a CVS.  That's 5 pharmacies. Walgreens is the newest and I had a feeling Rite aid would be the first to go,  I wonder what they will do with that building now? 

Honored Contributor

I am , unfortunately, stuck using Walgreens because it is the only chain that is both here in our small Florida town and up in our other small town where we spend the summers. I really do not particularly like them - never any extra services offered, esp. in the one up north. Never any effort to make anything easier when there is a glitch with a Rx.  too many stories to tell here. Just one of the disadvantages of small town life I guess.

I feel for those who use Rite aid for their Rx - I predict they will have a rude awakening. when we no longer snowbird I will change to getting my Rx by mail. Before we retired I used a mail service and they were great. Much much much more willing to help you if there were any problems with a Rx  and they NEVER half fill the Rx because they don't have enough to give you the full amount - a common occurance at our Walgreens in Pa. I have already had to go in 4 or 5 times until I get the full amount the Rx is written for - but they always charge up front for the entire co pay, even though they are only giving me 5 pills instead of 90.

Honored Contributor

My main is CVS, and it's fine. We have more CVS than the rest of them. Our Rite-Aids give me the creeps - not nice at all - and I agree, overpriced. I like Walgreens (we have few) and will be happy to have more.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

We have a Rite Aid about a block from Walgreens.  It was remodeled this summer and  It's now very clean and new.  Two miles down the street there's another big Walgreens on the west side of the street, and a CVS will be opening very soon directly across the street on the east corner.