Frequent Contributor

That is too bad.  I use Rite Aid for my scripts.  It is close and the pharmacy staff are really nice.   Walgreens does not take my insurance and there are not many choices where I live. Other pharamcies are out of the way.   

Honored Contributor

@June222 wrote:

I never physically shop in drug stores...I only shop on line.

You must be super-organized.

We've run to Walgreens late at night several times for urgent medical needs.  

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Walgreens has said it will leave Rite Aid intact and operate it as a subsidiary.  From the NYT:  "Rite Aid will be a wholly owned subsidiary of Walgreens operating under its own brand name when the deal is completed."

Just the same, you have to wonder if they'll close stores.  In my part of PA, every small town has a Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid, not to mention many in-store pharmacies.  Must be a lot of money to be made in prescription drugs.

I have to agree with other posters - Rite Aid stores are often dirty, poorly organized, with postage-stamp sized parking lots and high prices.  They won't be missed in this part of the country.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Judging by our local Rite Aid stores and the Walgreens we have, this will be a huge improvement. Our Rite Aids are gross and Walgreens are nice & clean.

The Walgreens are newer stores, and have much higher prices in my neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

Re: Walgreens Buys Rite Aid

[ Edited ]

I don't think I've ever been in a Rite Aid.

We use Target for routine things like band aids, Eucerine cream, tampons, etc.  Costco for large bottles of Tylenol and Ibuprofin.

Walgreens isn't as inexpensive but it's sure good in a pinch, and sometimes for milk to add to a recipe when DH drank it all, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

We have both W & R-Aid and both are very clean - R-Aid just redid their stores but their prices are the highest in the area.  I wanted a steno book (remember those ex sectretaries?)   and the cost was over $3.00.   Used to cost about 49 cents back in the day. I took a pass - will use the back of a used envelope.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

We have both W & R-Aid and both are very clean - R-Aid just redid their stores but their prices are the highest in the area.  I wanted a steno book (remember those ex sectretaries?)   and the cost was over $3.00.   Used to cost about 49 cents back in the day. I took a pass - will use the back of a used envelope.

fthunt,

I use steno pads daily for running lists I make.

I order them in packs online at Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Rite Aid in our area bought out Genovese Pharmacy and then the one by us closed to become a Modell's Sporting Goods. One in another town is now going to close because of Walgreen's taking over but Walgreen's will probably take its place there. A CVS is down the block from that store.

Rite Aid went downhill almost immediately after buying these Genovese Pharmacies. The pharmacist who used to work at the Genovese Pharmacy now works in the local supermarket pharmacy.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

It looks like a monopoly is slowly but surely being created.  If Rite Aid goes away that leaves only 2 major pharm. in the country CVS and Walgreens. Excluding WM of course- which is it's own beast.

Another opportunity for prescription drugs cost to go higher with less competition for consumers.  Drug companies are LOVING this!!

For those who use mail order scripts, you are not exempt from this problem- take a good look at who is the parent company.

Expect changes in your insurance companies prescription drug coverage plans. 

The pond of options is shrinking.  Sad.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I've been with Rite Aid since it was Perry drugs, lol.  Maybe I'll finally get my Synthroid the way I want it.  I just picked up my 90 day supply and had a discussion with the pharmacist.  I said, Abbott Labs ships you bottles with a 90 count.  My RX is for a 90 day supply.  Why do you insist on opening the Abbott Labs bottle and transferring 90 pills into a Rite Aid bottle?  I take and pay for the brand name.  He says, some pharmacists don't like to label the manufacturer bottle.  I said, maybe it's time for me to take my RX elsewhere.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise