Respected Contributor

Re: WARNING- Hammacher Schlemmer

@furbabylover 

Glad you posted this info on HS. I have their current catalogue and was considering ordering some items.

Honored Contributor

So everything you bought and received from them was defective.....?

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

Thought I would warn people that if you buy something from Hammacher Schlemmer and it turns out to be defective out of the box, they will not refund your shipping or return shipping charges- which are exorbitant! As gifts for Christmas, I bought a weighted blanket, a professional thermometer and an infrared heating pad. Even thought they are VERY expensive, I chose HS because they claim to really research their products and that they are the best on the market. The blanket leaked glass beads all over the box, the thermometer would not read higher than 65 degrees and the heating pad would not heat up. Everyone who received these was surprised at the lack of quality control. So upon returning these items (huge hassle), I found out my total shipping charges (to and from standard delivery) of $90.00 was not refunded. Believe me, I am going to fight this because I really can't see why I have to pay for defective merchandise shipping costs. I will never again buy from Hammacher Schlemmer!

@furbabylover, I have had bad luck with them too. I get the feeling that they are sending out seconds. I have not had anything arrive defective but most did not last very long. I stopped shopping with them years ago.

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter  Yes, I bought three things as gifts, NONE of them worked out of the box. And this is from a company that claims to research the best of the best products out there. Its a farce.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Flatbush I just got off the phone with Hammacher, and after a 20 minute struggle they agreed to PARTIALLY refund shipping charges, and that the refund would "be in the mail" within the next 10 days, even though I paid with a credit card!

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

@Flatbush I just got off the phone with Hammacher, and after a 20 minute struggle they agreed to PARTIALLY refund shipping charges, and that the refund would "be in the mail" within the next 10 days, even though I paid with a credit card!

Now that is especially weird, @furbabylover 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Yeah, definitely weird.  I'm sure you'll keep an eye on it.

I can totally see them keeping ship charges for items where people just changed their minds.  But if the merchandise is defective I feel that you are absolutely entitled to a FULL refund.

Did they say what this percentage of refund amounts to?   Unless it's at least 99%, they are still off the mark.   It needs to be the entirety of your charges if you returned the items in the same condition in which you received them.  period.

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

@furbabylover 

Too bad that, that is the best they can do. Hope they send you the little bit that they promised. Probably an expensive lesson.