Valued Contributor

WARNING- Hammacher Schlemmer

Thought I would warn people that if you buy something from Hammacher Schlemmer and it turns out to be defective out of the box, they will not refund your shipping or return shipping charges- which are exorbitant! As gifts for Christmas, I bought a weighted blanket, a professional thermometer and an infrared heating pad. Even thought they are VERY expensive, I chose HS because they claim to really research their products and that they are the best on the market. The blanket leaked glass beads all over the box, the thermometer would not read higher than 65 degrees and the heating pad would not heat up. Everyone who received these was surprised at the lack of quality control. So upon returning these items (huge hassle), I found out my total shipping charges (to and from standard delivery) of $90.00 was not refunded. Believe me, I am going to fight this because I really can't see why I have to pay for defective merchandise shipping costs. I will never again buy from Hammacher Schlemmer!

Respected Contributor

Re: WARNING- Hammacher Schlemmer

@furbabylover 

If you used a credit card ( not HS card ), try registering a dispute to the exorbitant charge, even at least the return portion.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

@jlkz Thanks for the reminder! I will do that tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

I am no way defending Hammacher Schlemmer, but their return policy is clearly stated on their website. Check return policy before purchasing anything from any website.

Honored Contributor

I guess it was a lesson learned the hard way

Valued Contributor

@Janey2  Yes, I did read their return policy, as I always do when purchasing anything online, and I could not find anything to suggest that one would have to eat the cost of shipping and returning a defective item. In fact, they make some mention of refunding a portion of return shipping if you use an alternate carrier, but they don't live up to that statement. I agree that its wise to scrutinize return policies, but when a company does not honor what they put in print, then I have a real problem with them.

Trusted Contributor

IMHO, if the item is defective, the company should eat ALL the shipping costs. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@furbabylover   I would write a letter to corporate headquarters to the attention of the CEO. The merchandise was damaged you shouldn't have to pay for returning it,period.I would also report them to the Better Business Bureau.
   Several years ago I bought a faux fur jacket at the Burlington Coat Factory. The coat had a fancy hook closure. I wore the coat 2 or 3 times & one of the hooks broke.I went back to the store & they wouldn't refund my money.I could either take a store credit or choose another coat. I couldn't  find anything I liked & wanted the refund to buy another coat somewhere else.They wouldn't budge.I took the credit & left.

I wrote a very pointed letter to the CEO. I got a letter of apology from the CEO with a check for the entire amount of the coat.In addition he told me to keep the store credit & use it .

Respected Contributor

I agree with @NicksmomESQ I would report them to the Better Business Bureau if you cannot get satisfaction. Just go to the BBB website and follow the directions. No one likes a bad rating on that site. Good Luck

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ You had a great experience. Sadly, 'several years ago,' you could still find some who would support that the customer was right. This is much harder to come by now.

It seems customers have become an annoyance, rather than a necessity to stay in business?  Then they whine and wonder why business is down. Many deserve to fail.