Honored Contributor

Re: Virginia Phase 1

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

he probably should have done what the maryland governor did.

he put maryland in phase 1 and then a few individual counties decided not to adopt the phase 1 recommendations just yet.

yes, it has felt like a very long time.......

That's essentially the way it worked out... Some similarities between the two with a few major cities in the rest of the state, but with highly populated close-in to DC suburbs... Of course, some big differences too...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

There was a barber in upstate NY doing hair in his home during the lockdown. 
he now has the virus as well as at least a dozen of his clients. 
Personally a haircut isn't worth it to me

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in VA, south of Richmond. We are in phase 1. Stores limited opening, restaurants eating outside only, appointment haircuts.

I'm older so still staying home except for groceries, walking dogs in neighborhood. Fortunately I cut and color my own hair, and give the dogs their baths. 
  I'm afraid with the opening there will be spikes and I'm remaining home. 
   For those areas not open for haircuts, I'm sorry! When my hair gets too long it drives me crazy, so I can't wait to cut it. Hopefully everyone will be open soon and hopefully without spread!

Honored Contributor

Hawaii Phase 1 re-opening went into effect yesterday, i.e., shopping malls, other retail, etc., but not Hair/Nail salons yet.  The beaches opened back up today; the ocean never closed, meaning you can cross the beach to get to the water for swimming & surfing, but couldn't plant your butt on the beach.  As of today, you can.

Phase 2 is allegedly going to happen June 5th, when restaurants can re-open.  I have no idea what phase hair/nail salons can re-open, but my hairstylist, esthetician & nail tech are all working underground now, anyway. They have children to feed & I'm more than happy to contribute to their paycheck.

Our "stay-at-home/work-at-home" order has been conveniently renamed to 'Re-open Hawaii' and is extended through June 30th to allow for phased re-openings.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

SurferWife,

You are in one of the two states with the fewest number of cases, and so I am surprised that your reopening is at a later date.  Alaska is the other state.  However, your state probably started recording infections at a later date, I think.

Trusted Contributor

@lianne wrote:

There was a barber in upstate NY doing hair in his home during the lockdown. 
he now has the virus as well as at least a dozen of his clients. 
Personally a haircut isn't worth it to me

@lianne  Just to clarify they have no idea if he infected anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

SurferWife,

You are in one of the two states with the fewest number of cases, and so I am surprised that your reopening is at a later date.  Alaska is the other state.  However, your state probably started recording infections at a later date, I think.

@golding76,  Hawaii essentially cut itself off early on and has taken its edicts very seriously.  Visitors must quarantine for 14 days and that has even been extended to intraisland visitors.  Here is an example of how serious Hawaii is:

The state Attorney General’s office said today that 23-year-old Tarique Peters of the Bronx, New York, was arrested this morning for violating quarantine and lying to authorities. A local man was with Peters when he was arrested and also faces charges. Bail for Peters is set at $4,000.

Peters arrived on Oahu Monday and authorities said he posted numerous pictures of himself on Instagram. “He allegedly left his hotel room the day he arrived and traveled many places using public transportation,” the attorney general said in a press release.

“Authorities became aware of his social media posts from citizens who saw posts of him — on the beach with a surfboard, sunbathing, and walking around Waikiki at night,” according to the release.

Special agents from the attorney general’s office said the hotel that Peters was staying in confirmed seeing him leave his room and the premises on numerous occasions.

“We appreciate the assistance of local people who spot flagrant violations of our emergency rules on various social media sites and report them to the appropriate authorities,” Hawaii Attorney General Clare Connors said.

Balance of article at:  staradvertiser.com/2020/05/15/breaking-news/number-of-visitors-thursday-totals-252-including-vacationers/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.