Honored Contributor

Re: Video of grandfather, toddler and cruise ship is up....

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Maybe the poor granp's eye sight was not good and he couldn't see the difference between glass and no glass.

@MalteseMomma 

"....poor granp's (sic) eye sight..."

The dude is 51 years old.

If he would've said he had a stroke or a medical episode, 

that everyone would believe.  Daaaang, he looks bad for

only being 51 years ago. 😯

13F27737-34FC-4F50-9DB5-D67F9BD7BF54.jpeg

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

The video that I watched ONLY shows the moments of the grandfather placing her on the windowsill; it DOES NOT SHOW HER FALLING IN ANY WAY.  I have no intention of watching ANYTHING that shows that.

@SahmIam  How/where did you see the video? I just watched a special report re the story and they specifically stated that the attorney for the family has decided NOT to release the video to the public at this time?? 

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis It came across my phone feed as a news alert. I have a Windows phone so often I get newsfeeds that my husband (who has an Iphone) doesn't receive and vice versa. It's a few seconds and then stops. The narrator isn't speaking English so all I could go by was what the brief article accompanying stated:

1) The video had been released.

2) The video showed was proof that there was no way the grandfather could have thought the window was closed

3) The video was one of more than a hundred the ship has and shows the tragic event from different angles. They also have numerous witnesses who are ready to come forth and testify as well as provide additional videos.

I presumed that means via their own cameras/phones. Beyond that, I have nothing as I feel no reason to research it further. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see such a horrific event. When I clicked, I thought it was a recap of the original news reel. Perhaps it was to answer the questions surrounding the window but I truly don't know. My intent was not to cause people to go run and look for it but to address the question we all had in the beginning: is there proof the grandfather is resposible. We now have that answer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the story via CBS but NO video. The news guy said he watched it and he described it and just showed a pic of the windows and the railing (which I might add railing was horizontol halfway up the window, leaving alot of space above railing and below which I thought was dangerous and stupid it was made like that, just looking at that set up!). He said (news man) grandpa followed the little girl toward the windows right behind her. He picked her up and put her on that railing but NOT out the window. In seconds she fell out/over railing, and grandpa fell to his knees (is all what the news man saw).

So tragic. I feel really bad for the grandfather and the whole family. I dont think he meant to do it at all, and he should not go to jail. Its a terrible terrible accident. He will pay for it the rest of his life (mentally), by thinking of what happened to his granddaughter. Not blaming the family at all. But i personally would not have taken my kids on any cruise at that childs age to begin with. Too young, too dangerous. My prayers are with this family. I cant imagine what they are all going through! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

About the family's seeking compensation from the cruise line almost immediately, does it seem plausible that in their hurt, their rage, their fear for the grandfather, they challenged the cruise line?  I'm certain they weren't thinking without great emotion affecting their thought processes.  Their fury had to have a target, and they chose the cruise line and not the grandfather, whom, I feel assured, they love.

Any thoughts on this?

@golding76   I wouldn't doubt that it was a lawyer who jumped on the chance to exploit this situation and in their anger and grief took that lawyer's advice.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Did the child fall over the railing or out the open window?
Esteemed Contributor

My heart goes out to this family. The grandad will never forgive himself and the family will be forced to forgive him!! Am sorry that they got hooked into a hostile lawyer.  He and they knew that the grandfather was at fault!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:
Did the child fall over the railing or out the open window?

My understanding is that the grandfather picked up the child and set her on the rail.  She leaned over to bang on the glass, as she often did at ice hockey games.  But because there was no glass, she leaned right out the window and fell. 

He didn't dangle her out the window, Michael Jackson style.. He probably should have noticed the window was open however and adequately restrained her.

Honored Contributor

Maltese............I sure hope that the cruise ship has corrected that problem.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I'm shocked he didn't have that sense of visual depth to see there

wasn't a window there.  Then add a breeze/wind coming through

the window?  Stuns me he was left alone w/ a child.