Respected Contributor

Re: Video of grandfather, toddler and cruise ship is up....

So, the child died?  The last thing I heard was that she was injured badly, but didn't die.  How horrible. 

Respected Contributor

I have no doubt that money hungry attorneys were contacting the family immediately after the news came out.  That may be why they acted so quickly against the cruise line.  Also, imagine how unthinkable it would have been for them to accept that the grandfather was responsible.  It would be natural for them to place the blame elsewhere.

I'm sure the grandfather did his best to defend himself as well.  But, apparently there is a recording of him, right after she fell, dropping to his knees and saying something to the effect that he had dropped his granddaughter off the boat.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

You're kidding. The child fell 150 feet onto pavement. Her death was instantaneous.
Esteemed Contributor

This is an unimaginable tragedy, and while grief stricken and in haste, the family sought what they perceived at the time would be justice. They had no way of knowing that such an act might ultimately make the grandfather culpable. My thoughts and prayers are with this family, because there are no winners here. The grandfather will relive this in his mind, everyday, for the rest of his life. That is prison.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde 

Of course he would say that he did,she didn't jump out the window.

I probably would use those same words myself!

Fell/droped in this instance it makes no difference to me. He certainly did NOT PUSH HER!

This is a horrible accident!

Respected Contributor

I cannot bring myself to watch the last few seconds of a toddler's life. Hopefully the cruise line will make sure all windows are secured. Hopefully the grandfather will find some kind of peace and hopefully the family will be able to pick up the pieces and move forward.
Respected Contributor

@this is my nic 

@this is my nic wrote:

So, the child died?  The last thing I heard was that she was injured badly, but didn't die.  How horrible. 

You may be thinking of the child (a boy, I think) who was thrown over an upper-story railing at a mall...as far as I know, he's still alive.

The child who fell out the window died instantly.

Honored Contributor

The video hasn't been released publicly.  CBS News had this photo of the ship's railing; the grandfather held the child out over the railing, not realizing the window in front of the railing was open or missing.

ships rail.JPG

Honored Contributor

I thought it has not been released to public view.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yuck! I'm not watching something like that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr