Esteemed Contributor

Re: Very inspirational ceremony

On 3/7/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 3/7/2015 evelomaddict said:

today is the one day that everyone should <em>try</em> to put their differences aside. all the same issues will be around tomorrow to argue about. imo

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I want to repeat your words:

"today is the one day that everyone should try to put their differences aside. all the same issues will be around tomorrow to argue about. imo"

Thanks to both of you... I agree. Maybe this one day could just be a little bit special, without going over the same arguments of the past few months. After all, people gave their lives in the hope that the dream would become reality. I wonder if anyone who crossed the bridge in 1965 had any idea that they would live to see the first AA President crossing the same bridge?

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SnowPink said:

Those of you who lived through the 60s, wouldn't you say it's MUCH better than it was?

Better? Depends on who you ask.

How about cops stopping a driver, simply because they are black?

Getting harassed by the cops simply because they are black.

The person has done nothing wrong, but yet, the cops still harass them.

What about "stop and frisk"?

Is that right?

Is that fair?

Unfortunately, that mentality is not going to go away over night.

Valued Contributor

Those of you who lived through the 60s, wouldn't you say it's MUCH better than it was?

Yes, it is much better than it was prior to riots. Though the Civil Rights Act made it illegal to discriminate, I think the riots after Dr. king's murder, quickly brought about even more change.

Honored Contributor

I was a little girl in the early 60s and a teen at the end.

It was both a terrible, violent time, yet a very inspirational time too.

Much was lost - JFK, MLK, RFK, and others...yet peace protesters helped turn the tide and end the Vietnam War.

People died in protests - I'll never forget Kent State or the Chicago protests - the people who died during the civil rights movement - but much was also accomplished - the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts...we put a man on the moon (imagine uniting behind that goal now!)...

Without the upheavals and protests, the accomplishments wouldn't have happened.

We have to be vigilant to make sure the country doesn't slide into complacency.

Super Contributor

On 3/7/2015 wookie said:

Yes, it is much better than it was prior to riots. Though the Civil Rights Act made it illegal to discriminate, I think the riots after Dr. king's murder, quickly brought about even more change.

I think so too.

Valued Contributor

""No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they'd die for.""

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Valued Contributor

For all you "realists" out there.. congratulations on being able to see the future. Maybe you can pick a winning lottery number for us.

There are optimists, and there are pessimists. No matter which you are, i hope we are all doing our best to teach our children and grandchildren to love, accept, and support people no matter their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin. It became the law with the enactment of The Civil Rights Act of 1964, like it or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Super Contributor

I don't have any statistics, but I'm willing to bet that many white people think that racial issues have "greatly improved" over the years.

But, I wonder if an AA would have the same sentiment, when they live it every single day.

Honored Contributor

On 3/7/2015 SuesCat said:

For all you "realists" out there.. congratulations on being able to see the future. Maybe you can pick a winning lottery number for us.

There are optimists, and there are pessimists. No matter which you are, i hope we are all doing our best to teach our children and grandchildren to love, accept, and support people no matter their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin. It became the law with the enactment of The Civil Rights Act of 1964, like it or not.

Actually, there are optimistic realists and pessimistic realists. I think the former is the group which gets most things done, and the latter is less effective because they're distracted by anger and burdened with the negativity of pessimism.

I agree with your hope for the future.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

When a young country is founded on the forced labor of a subjugated people it is understood that the country will have wounds for generations. Those wounds are not healed by indifference or cynicism. Communication is key. How about""Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."" That's a start.