Respected Contributor

Re: Very Difficult Situation

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

This is basically a child impregnated through rape. I know what I'd do if it were my daughter.

There is nothing positive to spin about this situation. It is a tragedy.

Was not aware you knew the girl involved and that she  said she was raped. 

Even if the girl wanted to be with the guy, when someone over the age of 18, has sex with someone under the age of 18, it is statutory rape.

Ever heard the expression, "16 will get you 20"?

I can't believe someone has to explain statutory rape to you.

I can't believe you would think you have to.  Considering we don't know the situation since the OP has not explained it out. If it was rape then yes that changes things. How about not ripping on me for not jumping on the band wagon without all the facts.

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, those fairytale endings are not the norm.

Respected Contributor

Wow so glad I gave the "mob with pitchforks" something and someone to get their selves worked up over. Enjoy insulting me for waiting on facts.

Esteemed Contributor

Stay out of it. Any parent who let a 13 year old get pregnant is obviously responsible period! Let them handle the fall out.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

-
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

A friend of mine from high school has a daughter the same age as my oldest, and the girls were on the same sports teams.   My friends daughter got pregnant at 14.   After the initial shock and disappointment, both families involved, formed a bond to support their children and care for the baby.   The boy and his parents were there every step of the way, and the baby grew up with both families.   The teens continued dating until college, dated other people, but got back together in their mid 20's, married, and had more children.   Both have college educations, good jobs, happy kids, and seem to be living happily ever after.   Their families are very proud of them, and the kids have always realized, and been appreciative of the support of their entire family.   

This situation will be defined by the attitude of all involved.  Regardless of how heartbroken you are, I suggest keeping those inner feelings to yourself, and just be supportive to your family, and their decisions.   

This is an awesome example of how things could go under the right circumstances and attitudes.  I think we would all hope for that kind of involvement and outcome.  Sadly, it's likely more the exception than the rule.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

This is basically a child impregnated through rape. I know what I'd do if it were my daughter.

Even if the girl wanted to be with the guy, when someone over the age of 18, has sex with someone under the age of 18, it is statutory rape.

I can't believe you would think you have to.  Considering we don't know the situation since the OP has not explained it out. If it was rape then yes that changes things. How about not ripping on me for not jumping on the band wagon without all the facts.

"IF" it was rape?

The 13 year old girl is NOT old enough to consent.

That is what makes it rape.

You seem to be under the impression that he forced himself on to her.

Even if she was willing to have sex with him, and wanted to have sex with him, she is not old enough to consent.

What part of that do you not understand?

Here's the definition from wiki.

https://en.whttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rapeikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rape

Trusted Contributor

unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do about it. what's done is done and unless her parents ask her to resort to more drastic measures, she's having the baby. the same thing happened to my niece. as soon as her mom told me she had to talk to me, I already knew. it's not like her daughter was promiscuous. it just happens to some girls who are not more careful. thankfully my niece didn't marry the guy and none of us ever thought she had to. he turned out to be a piece of work. even his family were just nasty people. the child is being raised by her mom and grandmother and everyone's fine. you just have to hope it all works well in the end. if all you can do is be supportive, then be the best kind you can be.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Maybe I am confused. Aren't you the poster who said she has worked in mental health counseling for many years? Surely if you are, the devestation to a young girl at the age of 13 with an unwanted pregnancy will be a life long trauma and you already know that.

This is a tragedy and the first thing her family should be doing is going to the police to make a report. A 19 year old boy having relations with a 13 year old child is punishable by law. It is a crime, first and foremost.

Nope not me that is way off base.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

"IF" it was rape?

The 13 year old girl is NOT old enough to consent.

That is what makes it rape.

You seem to be under the impression that he forced himself on to her.

Even if she was willing to have sex with him, and wanted to have sex with him, she is not old enough to consent.

What part of that do you not understand?

Here's the definition from wiki.

https://en.whttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rapeikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_rape

Where did I say that? Wow save your literature for  yourselves. Again for the last time we don't have the facts but you idiots are jumping on me because I would like the whole story before I have the young man involved castrated.